Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any word on who Cotto has picked Canelo/Martinez?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
    I could be wrong, but don't think he will win the lineal or Ring title at 160 if he beats Martinez. He will win Martinez's WBC 160 title only. You can not win the title if you are not ranked in the top 10 at the weight class.

For example, Mayweather only managed to win The Ring title from Canelo because he was #1 ranked by beating #1 ranked Cotto, and then beat the Champion Canelo.

So Cotto has to first beat a top 10 guy at 160, or just fight at 160 to be ranked top 10, and then maybe he could win the title but The Ring doesn't really explain that, it just explains who could win the vacant Ring title and how the champion can lose it.
    Stevenson became the lineal and RING champion after he stopped Dawson and he was unranked at LHW as I recall it.

Comment

Originally posted by $Natedatpkid$ View Post
      Gotta love Cotto he fights any and evdrybody. Wouldnt be the least bit surprised if he beats Maftinez then fights GGG and goes down swinging like a boss.

People give him so much shiiiit but hes never once stopped a megafight the fans wanted to see.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android
      That is exactly the conversation we were having at work. If he beats Martinez, he will likely fight Floyd for the MW belt, or may go down swinging just to quiet the haters and fight GGG.

War Cotto!

Comment

the writing is on the wall. he was in macau AFTER meeting with golden boy. he's co-promoting a show i think this week with top rank. if he was fighting canelo it would already have been announced.

i would love to see either fight but cotto is taking less money and going after the middleweight title vs. fighting a guy coming off a shutout loss. props to him for that.

Comment

Cotto-Canelo probably sells upwards of 600k.

Cotto-Martinez sells some where around 400k.

More PPV money=more PPV upside. So yeah, Cotto is getting paid regardless, but he'd get paid significantly more by fighting Canelo because of the money generated in PPV and gate revenue.

Stupid move IMO, he also has a better chance at beating Canelo.

Comment

Originally posted by El Angel View Post
            Stevenson became the lineal and RING champion after he stopped Dawson and he was unranked at LHW as I recall it.
            You're right, Stevenson was coming up from 168.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
              I could be wrong, but don't think he will win the lineal or Ring title at 160 if he beats Martinez. He will win Martinez's WBC 160 title only. You can not win the title if you are not ranked in the top 10 at the weight class.

For example, Mayweather only managed to win The Ring title from Canelo because he was #1 ranked by beating #1 ranked Cotto, and then beat the Champion Canelo.

So Cotto has to first beat a top 10 guy at 160, or just fight at 160 to be ranked top 10, and then maybe he could win the title but The Ring doesn't really explain that, it just explains who could win the vacant Ring title and how the champion can lose it.
              Martinez is considered the lineal champ by most fans and experts so if Cotto beats him he becomes the lineal champ even though Cotto is not the best at 154 and would get crushed by GGG in my opinion. Martinez will probably KO Cotto anyway and keep on ducking the guys he should be fighting. The Ring is just a magazine owned by De La Hoya and they don't have the final say on who is the lineal champ.

Comment

Originally posted by El Angel View Post
                It's gonna be Maravilla. Like I said from the beginning when everyone said it would be Canelo. Being Martinez does more for his ATG standing and his legacy then beating Canelo coming off getting undressed by Floyd.
                donīt fool yourself, Cotto canīt beat Martinez

Comment

really hope it's martinez ...of all the **** he's said , time for miguell to shove it right back up his metrosexual ass...

Comment

How do you know?

How do you know? Did they fight already? Boxing is the theater of the unexpected. ANYTHING can happen. Besides, Martinez is over-rated. Chavez lost the fight but got the glory for ending what was left of him. It will be a great fight. And by the way, Cotto can win. Have some respect for the future HOF'mer. Last time I checked, Martinez isn't going to the H.O.F.

Comment

Originally posted by GOD-FR33 View Post
                      How do you know? Did they fight already? Boxing is the theater of the unexpected. ANYTHING can happen. Besides, Martinez is over-rated. Chavez lost the fight but got the glory for ending what was left of him. It will be a great fight. And by the way, Cotto can win. Have some respect for the future HOF'mer. Last time I checked, Martinez isn't going to the H.O.F.
                      He won like 2 rounds against Trout, Martinez is bigger,faster and have more power than Trout he can't win
                      And HOF for what? for losing all the big fights?

Comment

Working...
                      X