Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Mayweather Rating: High For Boxing, Low For Network TV

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People are talking about Floyd doing 1 million buys like it's destined to happen regardless of the promotion. This fight has no buzz whatsoever. The opponent is unknown and not deemed a threat. It doesn't have the support of tried and true boxing PPV sponsors like Dewalt and Tecate (no rebate). It's on Showtime PPV, where it's promotion has been limited to a network short on viewers compared to the past (the All Access numbers are just sad). Everything is pointing towards failure. I'm beginning to think it will fall short of my 850k buys prediction.

Comment

People are wither going to buy the fight or not HBO or Showtime PPV is meaniless it's the same buy button on your remote. Now if your aren't buying cause it's a Showtime PPV then your a ******. The Cotto fight had over 1 million more buyers than it's highest rated viewers 24/7 episode. Maybe people don't want to see Floyd fight I highley doubt that as long as he is undefeated. As a huge Floyd I can careless about these doc's its nothing new so it makes no difference to watch them or not it's like waiting for a new 2Pac doc of his death anniversary every year it gets redunant. If i wasn\t attending the fight I would buy the fight without these docs or All-Access which has been better than the last couple of 24/7's outside of the 1st Ortiz episode

Comment

Originally posted by dc3383 View Post
        People are wither going to buy the fight or not HBO or Showtime PPV is meaniless it's the same buy button on your remote.
        I hear you, but I think you are completely missing the point. I haven't heard anyone suggest that the PPV will do less buys simply because it is a Showtime production instead of HBO. It's all about the marketing of the event, and Showtime just doesn't compete in that department (yet). It has 10+ million fewer subscribers and the programming it has for promoting this fight has been largely ignored. These issues in conjunction with a host of others will lead to fewer buys, I can almost guarantee you.

Comment

Mayweather is a Liability and CBS bit into it

There is too much risk CBS took when they signed Floydie for a 30 month deal only to find out, that their supposedly cash cow will disappoint...they forgot that people are sick and tired of the hype...self elation to be the best P4P yet avoids best competition...

Comment

Originally posted by IIG View Post
            I hear you, but I think you are completely missing the point. I haven't heard anyone suggest that the PPV will do less buys simply because it is a Showtime production instead of HBO. It's all about the marketing of the event, and Showtime just doesn't compete in that department (yet). It has 10+ million fewer subscribers and the programming it has for promoting this fight has been largely ignored. These issues in conjunction with a host of others will lead to fewer buys, I can almost guarantee you.
            I can agree with what you said; my point was to alot of idiots who claim it being Showtime is why it will fail which is ******ed IMO. I have the fight in 800k-1.1 mil range myself. If it cracks over a mil that would be awfully impressive I think something will happen between now and Saturday to get the interest up most likely a squibble at the weigh-in the public is suckers for weigh in fights.

Comment

Originally posted by boxmeister View Post
              There is too much risk CBS took when they signed Floydie for a 30 month deal only to find out, that their supposedly cash cow will disappoint...they forgot that people are sick and tired of the hype...self elation to be the best P4P yet avoids best competition...
              The revenue Floyd brings in suggests your talking out your ass , these shows are not for people that know him its for the ones that dont , its called marketing !

Comment

Originally posted by Big Rigg View Post
                People may be kinda sick of Floyd already. Every fight he has a 24-7 or now the 4 episode all access build up and it's only so much stuff that can be shown that we haven't seen before. It gets a little old.
                This is it really. His act is so damn corny it's got to the point where its almost painful to watch. This mismatch might do ok ish numbers, but it'll fall off for the next one badly unless he actually fights someone who might present a risk.

Comment

Good lord, do they let just anyone write articles for boxing scene?
                  This is straight up a trash article. It's bias against Floyd Mayweather and Showtime.

8:00 Saturday night is a prime time slot for people with no life. Who the hell stays home at 8:00PM on a Saturday night?

Secondly most people didn't find out till the day after it aired, like myself and caught it on showtime (of which I became a subscriber recently because of mayweather and also golden boy and most of their boxers crossing the pond)

I wonder how many people watched Sergio Martinez on hbo as opposed to Danny Garcia on showtime? Anyone have those numbers?

It was actually a really good show; as was the all access series.

For NASCAR being on at the same time I don't think 1.7 million compared to nascars 5 million is bad at all. Even Nascars numbers for the night aren't impressive.

Stop hatin!

Showtime/CBS have only gotten better because Floyd Maywewther and Golden Boy, I am now a subscriber. Lol Larry Merchant must have seen the writing on the wall! He didn't go down with the ship.

Comment

The casual fan is smart enough not to waste time watching the same Floyd/Pac hype show all over again. Boxing fans didn't even tune in then why should the casuals?

Put a proper live card and promote. I bet it does ok numbers.

Comment

I don't know why anything has to sell in the mills to be a success, don't know what the boxing world has to come to, as far as I'm concerned it's gonna be a good fight. I know Sr. came in to help fine tune Mayweather's defense a little more, but I see this fight taking place in the pocket, I see Mayweather-Chavez/Ndou again, except more competitive, but it's gonna be fireworks.

Comment

Working...
                      X