No announcement yet.

Floyds next opponent

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
    He'd get s**t on so bad if he fought Canelo next. You know it, I know it, Floyd knows it. He won't fight him until he does something legit first, like beat Cotto in May.

Sergio, he's a MW still, and it's pretty funny that people expect a guy who's been through 5 weight classes already and started at 130, to fight a fully natural sized MW right now. I know why Sergio is trying to chase the money against smaller fighters, but it doesn't do anything for his legacy. He'd better serve his legacy cleaning out MW or going up to 168 for one fight against Andre Ward. But you know that'll never happen.

For the Spring, I see two options. Manny Pacquiao or the Andre Berto/Robert Guerrero winner. And what's funny is this......the Manny fans will hate on Floyd-Berto/Guerrero, even though the winner of that fight would be one of the Top WW's out there for sure, and a better opponent than Clottey/Margarito/Mosley/Marquez were at the times he fought them, without question. But I'd rather see Floyd and Manny finally get it on in the Spring 2013, and see the Berto/Guerrero winner fight Bradley, and than see Rios fight Marquez.

And when Canelo actually gets a decent or really good win, and then Floyd beats him, I'll definitely bump this thread where people are starting the "Floyd won't fight Canelo" crap.
    Nice run down.

Comment

Berto/Ghost winner is top 3 WW! Why is this a bad thing? But like i always say no matter who fights who "boxing fans" on here will complain. Oh he needs to fight pac but like history shows IF he gets past jmm then Rios sig is almost dry already. He needs to fight martinez but the guy is injured and if he rushes back for payday then floyd will get no credit. Canelo is fighting cotto, trout or floyd may 4th. Or maybe hell retire which will be good too cause these fight moneys are gettn out of control.

Im just happy boxing is on.

Comment

It will be either Guerrero, Berto, Bradley, Khan, or Garcia

None of these are very relevant either. I will explain.

Guerrero - hasn't carried any power at welterweight, and has slowed down significantly. He would be like a slower, weaker, Pacquiao.

Berto - lost to Ortiz who Floyd already beat, cheated with PED's which Floyd campaigns against, and is just not that good in general.

Bradley - in the entire worlds view, coming off a clear loss to Pac, other than that this matchup is decent now that I think of it, Bradley wouldn't be scared of Floyd and might cut him on a but which could be interesting lol.

Khan - lost to prescott, peterson, and just recently garcia.

Garcia - 140 lber, would be moving up and untested at welterweight. Floyd would avoid the left hook and humilate garcia to one of his easiest wins.

If Floyd wants respect and a legacy fight.

There are 3 options:

1) Pac - best option, slowing down, might have become too technical and you can't outbox Floyd (but we will see after JMM fight if he can become that tornado again)

2) Martinez - just destroyed a big super middle in Chavez JR, is considered top 5 p4p by everyone basically. great fight.

3) Canelo - although he has no big wins currently, he definitely will. comes in excellent shape, has all the punches, is strong and talented solid 154 lber. not to mention huge following, undefeated.
        Last edited by Oh you out son; 11-02-2012, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Imatroll View Post
          Lets look at some possible options.

Canelo- Highly doubt Floyd fights Canelo. Floyd looked very lackluster against Cotto at 154lb. Floyd takes too many breaks against the ropes, that's something you can't do against Canelo. Floyd doesn't have the power to slow Canelo down. Canelo walks Floyd down and picks him apart. High risk fight, Floyd isn't stupid enough to choose Canelo.
          So you talk about Floyd taking too many breaks against the ropes but you don't talk about Canelo fighting in spurts and you don't talk about Canelo's lack of head movement or his slow feet? I thought it was gonna be a decent thread but I guess you have to live up to your username.

Comment

I choose winner of Berto/Guerrerro. I also believe there is a good chance of a fight with Alexander. Alexander only has one lose under his record, and it was a stoppage. Then again I believe Alexander is under Top Rank.

Comment

Originally posted by Fetta View Post
              Berto/Ghost winner is top 3 WW! Why is this a bad thing? But like i always say no matter who fights who "boxing fans" on here will complain. Oh he needs to fight pac but like history shows IF he gets past jmm then Rios sig is almost dry already. He needs to fight martinez but the guy is injured and if he rushes back for payday then floyd will get no credit. Canelo is fighting cotto, trout or floyd may 4th. Or maybe hell retire which will be good too cause these fight moneys are gettn out of control.

Im just happy boxing is on.
              Because neither of those guys are very good welterweights, and there are far better options out there. Floyd should get criticized for fighting either Berto or Guerrero.

You can make every excuse you want as to why Mayweather shouldn't fight those better options, but that's all they are, excuses.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
                Because neither of those guys are very good welterweights, and there are far better options out there. Floyd should get criticized for fighting either Berto or Guerrero.

You can make every excuse you want as to why Mayweather shouldn't fight those better options, but that's all they are, excuses.
                Exactly. Out of all these options the winner of Guerrero-Berto has to be the weakest one. Canlelo is a way better option even though most know he hasn't proven himself entirely. He's younger, bigger, and has had 5 successful WBC Super Welterweight title defenses. He is more known than both Guerrero and Berto combined. It gives way for a title unification as well as a possibility of having The Ring crown a Super Welterweight champion.

Comment

I can't figure how Canelo is so unproven that he is unworthy to fight the great Mayweather, when fighters like Ortiz, Gatti, Judah, Bruseles, Baldomir, Hatton and Sharmba Mitchell, fill his resume. None of them were the threat Canelo poses.

He'll never fight Canelo, I wish I could wager anybody who thinks he will. He'll never fight Pacquiao, who is on the decline. I knew this two years ago. Mayweather doesn't have a big heart to fight anybody he thinks could beat him.

Comment

I think he fights Berto and Canelo this year. Berto will maul Guerrero IMO.

Comment

I picked Canelo. It would sell on PPV on May 5th. I would be happy with Canelo vs Cotto if Cotto gets past Trout in December. If that doesn't happen then May vs Canelo would have to happen. Canelo is not going to give up that May 5th boxing date to Floyd no more.

Comment

Working...
                      X