Pacquiao:The last great Brawler?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SlySlickSmooth View Post
    Very good post.

Anyways, so name the Brawlers guys. I think I misinterperated.. GGG not a brawler, ok.

Nihito Arakawa and Leo Santa Cruz would be quality definition of brawlers right?

Offensive fighters all fight in their own style really.
    Tnx

Imo, kovalev is defintely a brawler...gatti, m ward, katsidis, mayorga are/ were too. Now, there are fighters like mathysse, maidana, hatton, rios ,margo ,leo, figueroa who are either categorized brawlers or swarmers, mostly brawlers by most.. imo, the huge difference is the preference to fight on the inside and be most efficient that makes them swarmers by style..perception is brawlers are less skilled...and in most cases it is true but not coz one has bad defense but still most effecient on the inside , does not make them brawlers, just less skilled swarmers..

Comment

with all due respect, kovalev is not a brawler , the other guys you mentioned puga are

gatti, mayorga

Comment

Originally posted by jas View Post
        with all due respect, kovalev is not a brawler , the other guys you mentioned puga are

gatti, mayorga
        He's definitely not a brawler

Comment

Originally posted by jas View Post

gatti, mayorga
          Originally posted by .:: JSFD26 ::. View Post
          He's definitely not a brawler
          Well then if hes not, pardon me but what is he then?...coz i think aint no way is he a boxer puncher, neithe a swarmer and defintely not a boxer by style

Comment

Pacquiao is a tremendous OFFENSIVE machine. His defense is also very underrated but he is definitely much more than a "brawler".

Comment

I think the TS didn't mean brawler but rather a fighter who likes to get into a good scrap at the highest level of fighting... I mean elites against elites, loves to throw down and let all caution to the wind.
              With that in mind I agree, but no he was never so much a brawler unless you talk about his younger years of teenage Pac fighting into early 20s Pac. Then he became a controlled aggressive pressure fighter who was ALWAYS looking to land something at every opening possible and generally just threw constantly to keep his opponent on the defensive but not so much without control.
              Nowadays, the dude is a ghost of his former self. He's a pure boxer who doesn't know how to finish off anyone if he hurts them and practically looks like a priest in the ring throwing pages of the bible at his opponent. Pac isn't fun anymore but having his old fights downloaded is still a saving grace when you need to look back at what he truly was in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by puga View Post
                Well then if hes not, pardon me but what is he then?...coz i think aint no way is he a boxer puncher, neithe a swarmer and defintely not a boxer by style
                kovalev is far from a brawler. He sets his shots up and doesn't go in face first swinging wildly. Some of the guys u mentioned, Kirkland, maidana, segura those guys are brawlers.

Comment

Manny really isn't a brawler, he is a great puncher with skills that comes to fight.. I think the best brawlers are Kirkland, and angulo

Comment

Originally posted by puga View Post
                    Which fight indicated to you that he's a brawler?

Comment

The crazy thing about Pacquiao is he is not a typical fighter, he is one of the few fighters who evolved into a boxer this is what makes him so special.

When he was young he never used the moves he does now, he was just a straight up slug em out brawler who was a head on your chest type inside fighter similar to Armstrongs give some to take some style.

He was so crude, now he forgot how to swarm like that inside he became a speed demon, who used bursts on opponents. He also stopped using his signature missile left hand that was his bread and butter at 122-126 he stopped because Roach basically told him it was too predictable.

Watch this video which basically the evolution of Pacquiao stylistically in the early part as a teen he was a brawler who got hit a lot and threw out punches head to head. by the time he fought Oscar he turned into an offensive minded slick boxer.

Pac needs to bring back that double jab follow by the missile left, the only fighter who was really able to avoid that was Marquez.

Comment

Working...
                      X