No announcement yet.

How bloody entertaining was Prince Naseem Hamed

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
    Nonsense so when exactly were they at their best? Both were champions on with several title defenses and no sign of decline going in to their fight with Hamed
    You don't know nearly enough about either guy to say that with the slightest amount of certainty. That's obvious because both had shown significant signs of decline and both were absolutely considered well past their best.

Bungu was at his best at SBW, about five years before when he beating McKinney. He wasn't near his best. Vasquez? He never won a significant fight after and only fought a few more times before retiring....he was basically 40 years old. He was nothing like his best. Don't be so ****ing deliberately daft. He was at his best about six years prior at SBW also.

They were still good, but nothing like their best, not even close, and not much better than good contenders at that stage.

Two guys with years and years of title fights, most in different weight divisions, and years of wear and tear who look awful losing a fight, before they retire or have a few more meaningless fights and losses against nobodies are not in their prime, at their best, or really very close to it no matter how you would like it to be so. They just weren't.

That's like those people saying Morales was at his peak when he lost to Pac.

Comment

SC...

You do realize 38 is very old for a bantam-featherweight, don't you? Check the history.

I'm sure Vazquez was fighting near his best in 1998....at featherweight.....TWELVE YEARS after he got his first shot, at a 118lb crown.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
        You don't know nearly enough about either guy to say that with the slightest amount of certainty. That's obvious because both had shown significant signs of decline and both were absolutely considered well past their best.
        What signs? Both were champions with several title defenses going in to their fights with Naz
        Bungu was at his best at SBW, about five years before when he beating McKinney. He wasn't near his best.
        So he won his belt in 1994 vs McKinney then suddenly got worse after defending the belt 13x?

Vasquez? He never won a significant fight after and only fought a few more times before retiring....he was basically 40 years old. He was nothing like his best. Don't be so ****ing deliberately daft. He was at his best about six years prior at SBW also.
        Yeah an almost 40 year old featherweight champion who had defended his belt several times and had 1 loss in 9 years prior to fighting Naz

They were still good, but nothing like their best, not even close, and not much better than good contenders at that stage.

Two guys with years and years of title fights, most in different weight divisions, and years of wear and tear who look awful losing a fight, before they retire or have a few more meaningless fights and losses against nobodies are not in their prime, at their best, or really very close to it no matter how you would like it to be so. They just weren't.
        There is absolutely no evidence that either one wasn't at their best. Saying they were past their primes is purely arbitrary.

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
          The only time the Princess was entertaining was when he was getting exposed and embarrassed by Barrera.

Poet
          HAHAHA exactly. Didn't you just love that. Only a KO would've been better IMO. I remember getting ticked off when Kevin Kelley had him hurt and couldn't put him away.

Comment

A thread full of idiots looking at boxrec to try and discredit naz when ye clearly haven't a clue......first of all the whole hamed got exposed by Barrera need to look a little deeper like the fact he was 2 and a half stone heavy at the start of camp for the Barrera fight and only made weight on the morning of the fight after not eating for several days....secondly in the documentry for the fight naz ain't training properly and manny steward is cracking up.........naz got 7 million dollars for that fight the 4th highest in the world at the time (Tyson,Lewis,de la Hoya) and he openly admitted the hunger wasn't there anymore

Comment

Originally posted by tonyjones View Post
              A thread full of idiots looking at boxrec to try and discredit naz when ye clearly haven't a clue......first of all the whole hamed got exposed by Barrera need to look a little deeper like the fact he was 2 and a half stone heavy at the start of camp for the Barrera fight and only made weight on the morning of the fight after not eating for several days....secondly in the documentry for the fight naz ain't training properly and manny steward is cracking up.........naz got 7 million dollars for that fight the 4th highest in the world at the time (Tyson,Lewis,de la Hoya) and he openly admitted the hunger wasn't there anymore
              A thread with one UK knob-slobber who would HATE Naseem Hamed if he were from the United States.

Comment

Originally posted by U_TALKING_2_ME? View Post
                I was just watching a Hamed fight and my new lady friend sat down next to me and started to watch with me and the first words out of her mouth with her So Cal ex valley girl accent was "No Way, Is That For real?!" then when the fight was over she asked if i had anymore of his fights.

It is a damn shame that man does no get his just due, because he was one of a kind, one hell of an entertainer, and one nasty little fighter (in a good way)

And your thoughts on the Prince?
                Yep, he was an exciting fighter..inside and outisde of the ring. Very good fighter also. Shame he lost his motivation some what after he found fame.

Comment

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
                  A thread with one UK knob-slobber who would HATE Naseem Hamed if he were from the United States.
                  I'm from Ireland that's not the uk you dumb idiot and for your information I do hate naz even now the guys a prick I remember wanting Wayne McCullough to literally kill him but this doesn't stop me from realising his talent
                  Last edited by tonyjones; 05-29-2013, 03:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X