Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would Of Chris Byrd Stood Any Chance Against Lennox Lewis?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
    your a size idiot.. That clown who you have in your avatar was a pro boxer who fought at middleweight he had 15 pro fights won 5 on points and lost 5 by KO with 5 drawn.. he then took a load of steroids so that he bulked up to 18st and worked as a bouncer beating up drunks coz the boxing business was too tough for him... size means nothing and it certainly don't win fights otherwise Antonio Margarito & Audley Harrison would have won their world title fights last weekend, speed & skills win fights and Chris Byrd was vastly superior to Lennox Lewis in both departments
    Na im not a size idiot,their are quite a few smaller heavyweights i would give a good shot at beating lewis,so your wrong their

I dont think byrd would have much of a shot of beating lewis,thats my opinion,if it upsets you then thats your problem,i know you have a strong dislike for lewis but getting wound up by someone having a different view on him than you really is ridiculous

Comment

Chris Byrd is one of those guys you would never want to underestimate. He was one of the greater heavyweight champs of the last weak era imo. I also believe Lewis would beat him with some technical difficulties.

Comment

Honestly, I do not think so. As you would expect for a man of his size, Lewis was relatively sluggish in comparison to smaller HW's, & while I do believe speed could trouble him stylistically (as a somewhat jab-reliant fighter), I doubt Byrd is the go-to man for the task. He had absolutely no pop to his punches, routinely lapsed in concentration, & never beat anyone on Lewis' level to boot. His biggest opponents physically were Vitali Klitschko, who largely neutralised him prior to a freak, one-off stoppage, & Wladimir Klitschko, who shut him down with ease. Byrd showed very little promise against two big men whom, frankly, I've never been overly-impressed with. Lewis was a significantly better fighter than either Klitschko on his best night, with a wider variety of tools & a better understanding of Boxing fundamentals (which is not to say Lewis didn't have short-comings in that regard, but he was better than either K-brother).

A fighter along broadly similar lines to Byrd in many respects who might've done much better against Lewis (while still losing) would be Jimmy Young.

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post
          I believe that Ruiz would beat Lennox and I believe Lennox believed that as well which is why it never happened.

Grant and Botha were the easier fights at the time which is why Lennox fought them. Lennox didn't care about being in competitive fights as much as he did just winning and getting paid.
          Ruiz was not seen as the tougher fight. Grant was seen as the tougher and better fight. I know it's easy to overlook that now. And botha was nothing more than a tune up for Tua who smashed Ruiz in less than a round. Ruiz was no terror in the division that Lewis needed to avoid. Even though Lewis haters like to believe that.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
            Ruiz was not seen as the tougher fight. Grant was seen as the tougher and better fight. I know it's easy to overlook that now. And botha was nothing more than a tune up for Tua who smashed Ruiz in less than a round. Ruiz was no terror in the division that Lewis needed to avoid. Even though Lewis haters like to believe that.
            i suggest you go and watch Grant vs Golota link below...This was Grant's fight before facing Lewis and in no way is he more dangerous than No1 contender John Ruiz who had floored Lewis in sparring and knew how to beat Lewis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHb-OuNFL5c

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post
              I believe that Ruiz would beat Lennox and I believe Lennox believed that as well which is why it never happened.

Grant and Botha were the easier fights at the time which is why Lennox fought them. Lennox didn't care about being in competitive fights as much as he did just winning and getting paid.
              off topic: where did you get your avy from?

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
                i suggest you go and watch Grant vs Golota link below...This was Grant's fight before facing Lewis and in no way is he more dangerous than No1 contender John Ruiz who had floored Lewis in sparring and knew how to beat Lewis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHb-OuNFL5c
                My problem with Byrd is that he didnt counter enough, he would make his opponent miss, but not counter consistently enough- like a prime James Toney did

Comment

Originally posted by -Lightsout- View Post
                  off topic: where did you get your avy from?
                  did you get my message?

Comment

Originally posted by -Lightsout- View Post
                    My problem with Byrd is that he didnt counter enough, he would make his opponent miss, but not counter consistently enough- like a prime James Toney did

i loved byrds counters.

i think the difference between toney and byrd (other than attitude and commitment to power) was that byrd is naturally a middleweight who blow himself up to "heavy/cruiser". while toney was a "cruiser/heavy" who squeezed down to middle.

but in the gym, i saw byrd drop many heavyweights with the straight left to the body.

dude was amazing.

Comment

[QUOTE=mr.thraz;9650137]
                      Originally posted by mr.thraz View Post
                      i loved byrds counters.
                      If Toney slipped your right hand, you were going to get hit with a counter right. Byrd on the other hand might make you miss, but not always counter. Lord knows what he was doing in the first Wlad fight
                      Originally posted by mr.thraz View Post
                      i think the difference between toney and byrd (other than attitude and commitment to power) was that byrd is naturally a middleweight who blow himself up to "heavy/cruiser". while toney was a "cruiser/heavy" who squeezed down to middle.

but in the gym, i saw byrd drop many heavyweights with the straight left to the body.

dude was amazing.
                      I would argue that Toney was a natural lhw, who boiled down to mw. smw was his prime division though, he was never any good at lhw
                      As for Byrd, how on earth did he get so high? I heard he was a jmw during the amatuers

Comment

Working...
                      X