No announcement yet.

Correct way of throwing the hook

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct way of throwing the hook

What way do people throw hooks. Palm facing the floor or your fist sideways?

Originally posted by Southpawjace View Post
    What way do people throw hooks. Palm facing the floor or your fist sideways?
    People do both. I have a habit of throwing my left hook with my fist sidways (thumb up). My coach always yells at me to fix it and throw it with my palm facing the floor. But it's a hard habit to break to be honest.

Throwing the hook with the fist sideways is more ideal for hitting the sand-bag (in most cases). But a lot of people, if and when they throw the hook in this fashion, usually throw it a little wide, making it a very easy punch for your opponent to see, and therefore avoid/counter. Also, it's not as strong as throwing the same hook with your palm down. Throwing the hook properly with the palm down should be stronger because you're reinforcing the punch with your elbow. When you throw the hook sideways, you're mainly relying on your legs and hips for power.

But there are a lot of fighters than have success with both style hooks. If you're fast enough and you have a punchers strength, a sideways hook can be extremely effective. Hope this helps!

Comment

great advice mate appreciate it. Only because my trainer (world champ) told me it can be done both ways but advised me to throw the hook the palm down. And my mate who just turned pro taught me too throw it the way you said with thumb facing upwards.

Comment

who is your world champ trainer?

Comment

Andre Daltrey, he's world kickboxing champion. He went over too the wildcard in march to see roach and help manny/khan. Lucky man

Comment

most would say the palm should be facing downwards while others say it sideways like pushing a door handle.

Comment

Honestly it comes down to personal preference, and also whether it's a long or short hook. Most people will tell you that the traditional way is knuckles to the sky, but if you look at a lot of pro's their hooks land thumb up to the sky. It's hard to have your knuckles facing the sky when you're throwing a long hook, and just as easy either way with a short hook.

I throw my left hook thumb to the sky, my right hook knuckles to the sky on focus mitts and with light gloves on heavy bag, thumb to the sky with 16oz gloves on the heavy bag (confusing i know!). Generally comes down to the impact on my wrist, and which one feels stronger.

At the end of the day through, when i'm fighting or sparring it's always thumb to the sky, unless it's a short right hook which is knuckles to the sky.

The moral of this mess - whatever makes you comfortable, it'll land with similar impact either way.

Comment

Well a lot of the big punchers threw it with palm facing themselves but I think different ranges calls for different style hooks

Comment

Technically and historically a hook to the head should be with the palm facing down. But even professionals with distinuished amateur records fire thumbs up hooks.

I remember an interview with David Haye in which he said he always fires his hooks thumbs up because it engages the bicep better and is thus more powerful.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
                    Technically and historically a hook to the head should be with the palm facing down. But even professionals with distinuished amateur records fire thumbs up hooks.

I remember an interview with David Haye in which he said he always fires his hooks thumbs up because it engages the bicep better and is thus more powerful.
                    Yes you are right, in the other thread I posted some videos of trainers that talk about the differences between the two.

I throw the hook with my thumb up, it feels better to me but both are right. When you throw the hook from distance, thumb up seems more natural. When you throw it close, palm down seems more natural.

Comment

Working...
                    X