Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Devon Alexander a bit underrated/under-appreciated?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what happens when you career break out fight in which is supposed to take you on to bigger and better things you quit.

Comment

Originally posted by Deeznuts View Post
      His best win was against Juan Urango, other than that he has looked average against C level opposition. He looked totally lost against Bradley and his lack luster performances afterwards just didn't help elevate his status either. I think he is were he needs to be
      Alexander clearly lost against Bradley, but I don't think he looked out of his depth, he just looked young and inexperienced, which honestly he was at the time. A lot of people said even before the fight that it seemed too quick for Alexander to take that fight. A lot of people also don't realize either that he's still only 25 and only has 25 fights, and as of late against Maidana and Bailey, it may not of been pretty, but he looked more complete and controlled in those fights. Moving up to 147 and gaining more top level experience has obviously helped him.

Also, you feel that Maidana is C level? Witter C level? Bailey's not even C level, he's more like B level, and to be fair Bailey earned the fight with Alexander with the KO of Jones as well. Even against Kotelnyk and Matthysse whether you felt he won or lost were top level fighters and both fights were competitive. Overall my point is, Alexander is still very young at 25 and is still developing and has in fact shown a lot of progress since he's moved up in weight. And because of a couple sub par performances, people instantly write him off. That's all I'm trying to say.

To poster above, I'm not talking about the bookie's opinions on who the favorite is, I'm talking about the general attitude from a lot of fans and even some writers.

Comment

Yea he is, but it completely understandable why he is. He deserves respect as a fighter because he does get the job done but the way he fights he will never be viewed positively and will always bring down how people feel about him.

Comment

I thought the Maidana fight was a visually pleasing performance and fun to watch. If you can appreciate outboxing an opponent.

The Bailey fight was horrible. But I blame Randall Bailey....people forget that he was in a boring stinker of a fight against Mike Jones in his previous bout.

Comment

why would anyone appreciate someone like devon alexander? he made the entire arena boo him in his last fight.

Comment

By far. He backs down from no one and he keeps winning.

Comment

The biggest reason he doesn't get a lot of credit for tough fights is because he fought so many of them in St. Louis, where he was in little danger of losing a decision. He does get credit, but he should have had 3 straight losses before Maidana, and instead had 2 robbery wins.

And underrated? Not really, people consider him a decent fighter, which is what he is.

Comment

Originally posted by Tmann400 View Post
                  Alexander clearly lost against Bradley, but I don't think he looked out of his depth, he just looked young and inexperienced, which honestly he was at the time. A lot of people said even before the fight that it seemed too quick for Alexander to take that fight. A lot of people also don't realize either that he's still only 25 and only has 25 fights, and as of late against Maidana and Bailey, it may not of been pretty, but he looked more complete and controlled in those fights. Moving up to 147 and gaining more top level experience has obviously helped him.

Also, you feel that Maidana is C level? Witter C level? Bailey's not even C level, he's more like B level, and to be fair Bailey earned the fight with Alexander with the KO of Jones as well. Even against Kotelnyk and Matthysse whether you felt he won or lost were top level fighters and both fights were competitive. Overall my point is, Alexander is still very young at 25 and is still developing and has in fact shown a lot of progress since he's moved up in weight. And because of a couple sub par performances, people instantly write him off. That's all I'm trying to say.

To poster above, I'm not talking about the bookie's opinions on who the favorite is, I'm talking about the general attitude from a lot of fans and even some writers.
                  Maybe I just remember the loudmouths, but Bradley-Alexander was 50-50 around here. He did look outclassed to me, that fight was kind of one-sided, and Alexander was awful.

Comment

Agree that he's underrated and under appreciated. Not a fan of his but respect the competition he's faced lately especially since the Bradley fight. Defiantly doesn't take easy fights to pad the record

Comment

he's a solid jr ww and ww

very boring and bland though

Comment

Working...
                      X