Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If You Could Box Like Any One Fighter, Who Would It Be?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm gonna say Pernell Whitaker. Never get touched and just infuriate my opponents? Sign me up.

Comment

I'd probably say Arguello, Monzon or Johnson, my 3 favourites. Don't have similar styles per say but have text book qualities which is my favourite style.

As a teen, I emulated Arguello's style for years, text book, everything off the jab and trying to use perfect technique

Similar to these days how all the young kids who come into the gym try and emulate Mayweather's style. These day's you see more kids using the sholder roll than you do a text book or classic fundemental style.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
        I'll admit that your expertise in boxing is considerably better than your pathetic attempts at comedy. But then again, I'm just a FAN! Scott.
        I don't know what we lowly fans are doing here on this boxing forum. We should know that this is a place only for the elite of the elite of the inner circle of the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by BigStereotype View Post
          I don't know what we lowly fans are doing here on this boxing forum. We should know that this is a place only for the elite of the elite of the inner circle of the sport.
          I can only imagine the indignity that true boxing insiders feel here having to mingle with us common fans. Boxing doesn't really need fans anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by PAC-BOY View Post
            Hell no. Manny is to wreckless. Id be a Gatti fighter! Good Bad or worst....gives it his all, and has a fan base that loves him. Not afraid to get hit to give one!

As for Mannys KO. Thats Boxing. Thats what happens when you fight great fighters on an even playing field. Thats what happens when you fight as often as manny...Rather than once a year or fake retire or go to Jail...:WORD: Thats called avoidance. Now sir kindly STFU:ANWOD:
            While I agree with the fake retiring and avoidance by Mayweather, Manny isn't that much more active. Since 2006, he has only fought twice a year, hardly that often.

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
              lololol Ray is a good guy for the most part
              Yes, but he has some trouble with people that disagree with him, even when the facts are not in his favor. I can at least respect his knowledge of all time great fighters and boxing technique though. His "I know better than you because I fought and trained" comes off as a bit conceited and illogical though. It's like saying you or I have no right to critique a movie because we've never acted in one or written one. How many boxing historians have ever gotten in the ring? Probably not many. Everyone has a right to an opinion. It just needs to be an informed one. Personal experience does give you a different perspective, but it doesn't mean you can't have an informed opinion if you've never partaken in what you're talking about. There's an old saying that goes experience is the greatest teacher...but it doesn't always have to be your own experience. So yeah, I like the guy, but I'd like him more if he'd minimize the putdowns to the guys that come and go and really don't know what they're talking about. He plays that card a little too often. Reminds me of parents that try to tell me that I don't know what I'm talking about because I don't have any children when other parents I've met agree with me haha.
              Last edited by Anthony342; 01-30-2013, 02:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Surgeon View Post
                Floyd Mayweather. He keeps it entertaining enough without taking much back. Obviously he has been very successful with his style and at the end of the day id Prefer not to risk brain damage by taking needless head shots.

Now for the record i box sod all like that lol, im more Brian Sutherland than Floyd Mayweather!

I admire the Warriors and Bombers of the sport more but given the choice of being a give & take bad ass who will likely end up slurring and being a touch punchy or being a more cautious defensive whizz who speaks well when he's older id take option two!
                Yeah me too. Although Lamotta didn't sound too punchy until he got much older. Bur yeah, I'd go more with a fast boxer puncher style like Sugar Ray Leonard, but I'd love to have the punching power of a Liston, Foreman, even Marciano, who seemed to take more punches to finish opponents later in his career but threw punches often and at times almost constantly.

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
                  Orlando Canizales or Jose Napoles, both of them have me hypnotized whenever I watch em, something beautiful about how they beat their opponents silly.
                  Canizales' footwork, angles, and powerful combos were a sight to behold.

Great choice.

Comment

Originally posted by PAC-BOY View Post
                    i need a laugh...come on someone say Floyd...Pleeeease!
                    why would you not want to fight like floyd the guy is a master at defense and strait right and even jab and hell have a brain when he gets older

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
                      No, you have me confused with someone else.

I've never been knocked out in my life.

Closest I came was when my dog tripped me up when I was running around with a football aged 12. Didn't want to hurt the dog so just let me face take the brunt of the impact onto the edging monoblock garden bricks. Had a big purple mark with radius 4 inches on my forehead and I was a little dizzy. Had to go for an X-Ray, was all clear, or so they thought.
                      Hahaha.

Brings to mind your man Hugh McIlvanney:

"Anyone who suggests that the Scots are infatuated with their own image as fighting men has failed to distinguish between infatuation and the real thing."

Comment

Working...
                      X