No announcement yet.

Calzaghe against 2013's best

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calzaghe against 2013's best

An article by this title has appeared in Boxing Weekly, with Joe splashed across the cover. The five guys he is pitted against are:
    1. Cleverly
    2. Dawson
    3. Froch
    4. Martinez
    5. Ward

Who do you think he beats/loses to?
    Cleverly
    42.86%
    Ward
    31.43%
    Dawson
    14.29%
    Froch
    2.86%
    Martinez
    8.57%

The poll is expired.

maybe he loses to ward - but he beats the rest.

martinez is too small to compete against SMW's. froch is too crude and can be outboxed easily as ward showed. dawson may give calz problems but i don't think he has the mental edge of champions and i wonder what he would do when hes getting hit.

Comment

He beats them all except Ward. But believe you me it won't be easy. What's forgotten is how good the boy could adjust mid-fight. Its funny they call him "calslappy" when I've watched Froch use the same technique and he's called "warrior".

Comment

Can you not edit the poll to be multiple choice, i.e. so people can tick more than one?

Seems a bit pointless otherwise.

Comment

As much as I like giving Calzaghe **** (just cause it pisses off his dickriding fans) he probably beats everyone on that list bar Ward.

While Froch would give him some trouble (if Froch lands clean, Joe would be in trouble) I think he'd be too fast and be too busy for Froch. It's a fight that could have happened had Calzaghe been a year or two younger or had Froch arrived a little earlier himself in terms of being known to the public.

Dawson doesn't have the mental toughness to deal with Calzaghe who would be too busy and out point him.

Martinez is probably too small but stylistically would give Joe some issues too. It's a different story if they're at the same weight/size.

Clev? LOL. Calzaghe schools the chump.

Comment

Ward at SMW and Dawson at LH would beat him,thats it. Zaghes beats the rest.

But you need to keep in context that fighting the best is something Calzaghe basically didnt ever do (bar Mikkel), so he'd not even get in the ring with these guys for any money.

Comment

Ward gives him the business & Froch ko's him.

He beats Martinez, Dawson & Cleverly.

The reason I believe Froch stops him is because JC loves to throw lots of punches meaning he'll be within Froch's range. Froch will feel right at home sitting in the kitchen banging away happily until he catches JC who does have a suspect chin.

Comment

He beats all of them, even Ward... if the fights are held in UK.
                In ... say, Vegas? I'd grant him Cleverly and Martinez.

Comment

Originally posted by KrisSilver View Post
                  Can you not edit the poll to be multiple choice, i.e. so people can tick more than one?

Seems a bit pointless otherwise.
                  I know I'm really sorry about that. Not sure how to edit it. If anyone knows tell me, thanks.

Comment

Most of you seem to think Ward is Cals biggest threat but stylistically it would be very similar to Hopkins v Calzaghe, where neither guy was actually prime but Joe's superior activity got him the win in an otherwise dire fight. Personally I think a prime Joe owuld beat a prime Ward because Ward does everything Hopkins could, just not as good.

Martinez moving up to fight Joe at 168 would be a great fight! Joe was never a big smw and loses out in terms of speed and power to Sergio. Plus Sergios awkward style would make it hard for Joe to not only land clean but do what he used to do so well, negate his oppositions strengths. I think Martinez is Joe's biggest threat.

Comment

Working...
                    X