No announcement yet.

who beat mallinaggi the worse?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Derranged View Post
    Paulie held in the Cotto and Hatton fight enough to get DQ'd.
    In the Hatton fight, I wouldn't go out of my way to disagree with you.

In the Cotto fight, you're full of ****.

Comment

Originally posted by BallisticAffair View Post
      I'll tell you why I disagree.

The official's stoppage vs. Khan felt merciful, ie. Paul was going downhill in there fast, he was unable to spoil much and it was starting to get unpleasant to watch.

McGirt's stoppage felt like a principle stoppage. He's not a trainer who would be especially tolerant of his fighter having almost zero offense. It didn't feel merciful, because Paul was spoiling to limit the damage and it felt like he could have gone the full 12 without any grave danger.

Notice how Paulie kicked up a huge fuss about being stopped vs. Hatton. A little resistance out of stubborn pride vs. Khan, but much less so.

I assume the threadstarter's question to mean who gave Paulie the worst physical beating rather than who won most comprehensively, though.

If we're arguing the latter question, then I say Khan. Malignaggi was effective in spoiling and limiting the damage Hatton could put on him, but the Khan fight was becoming sickening by the finish, Paul's head was snapping back from the jab constantly. That was a *real* clinic and a mercy stoppage from a pretty hardened official IIRC.
      I think Paulie was more pissed in the Hatton fight cause he didn't think Hatton was any good, and it was almost a pride thing. Against Khan, I think he was able to acknowledge Khan was just better than him.

I just think Paulie was hurt throughout the whole Hatton fight, he never recovered from the 2nd round, kind of like Berto the other weekend after the 1st. I never felt he was in too much danger against Khan, but I felt that way against Hatton.

Comment

Originally posted by BallisticAffair View Post
        Paulie's biggest issue in that fight was having no confidence in his hands whatsoever = no offence and nothing to keep off a constantly oncoming tank like Hatton.

However, he didn't take a hellacious beating, was limiting the damage with awkwardness and there was nothing to suggest he couldn't have seen it out to the final bell.

If anything, it's the least brutal of the three.
        He took some big shots, for me it was the most convincing victory of the three even if the stoppage was poor, because honestly while he could've held on for 12, Malignaggi was finished as a competitor when he got caught big in Round 2.

Feels kind of bad discussing Paulie's beatings tho because he comes across as a good bloke, I guess what one can say is lesser fighters would've been KO'd.
        Last edited by Weebler I; 05-01-2011, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Paul was going nowhere in both fights, but I never got the same impression of a guy ailing in the Hatton fight as I did against Khan. Against Hatton, I was upset at the stoppage. Against Khan, I was happy to see it stopped.
          I don't think it was just a dumb pride thing vs. Hatton, more that Paul believed he hadn't taken too much and felt he could see the final bell easily if nothing else (I believe so, too) and he had the energy to kick up a major fuss. In the case of Khan, everything was gone out of him, the lack of energy in him was a big part of him barely protesting.

Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post
          He took some big shots, for me it was the most convincing victory of the three even if the stoppage was poor, because honestly while he could've held on for 12, Malignaggi was finished as a competitor when he got caught big in Round 2.
          Hatton landed some good punches, but I feel Khan landed more consistently and cleanly and damagingly overall throughout the duration of the fight.

It's not like Paul was especially effective against Khan after the first couple, either...although I don't recall exactly how I scored it.

This one's somewhat open to interpretation, though.

I'm still not sure what the TS is asking, TBH.

I agree, though, re. Paul's high quality as an individual. I shouldn't even be discussing this subject, I'm a hardcore PM fan. LOL.

Comment

I'd say Cotto or Khan, but Khan's was more calculated.

Comment

Anyone got a link to that magic man documentary where paulie is in pain after fight? you guys built up such a graphic image, i just got to see this.

Comment

Cotto did,both wanted the fight,both were young & undefeated,both were world class contenders when it happened.Anyone who beat Paulie never got the credit Cotto did,& that was from Paulie himself baby.

Comment

Tough one,they all beat him down pretty badly,Cotto did it more brutally,Hatton did it more consistently and Khans was more calculated-Id pick Khan,he was stopped in that one and really looked glad it was over

Comment

Originally posted by hayZ View Post
                    Anyone got a link to that magic man documentary where paulie is in pain after fight? you guys built up such a graphic image, i just got to see this.
                    I think the old links went down, but I have the film in data storage somewhere...I'll chop it up and upload it tomorrow, man.

Comment

Hatton basically ended the fight with one punch in round 2.

So I'd say that was a bad loss. In the sense it was like a man trying to hold back a typhoon with teaspoon.

He had success against Cotto. And he competed with Khan for a while.

Hatton's fight was a formality.

Comment

Working...
                      X