This weekend we witnessed the Mayweather effect

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PBP View Post
    Ehh. Not comparable.

Rigo was a bantamweight at age 20, Floyd was a super featherweight at age 20. Floyd's frame allowed his body to grow into the welterweight division whereas Rigo's frame doesn't. People grow differently. Floyd can't fight at 130, 135 and probably not 140 at his current age. Rigo can probably still make 118 at his.

Rigo doesn't even rehydrate to the featherweight limit. Him fighting at 126 is the equivalent of Floyd fighting at 154. (He doesn't even rehydrate to the 154 limit).

As far as Agbeko, Floyd can choose his opponent, Rigo can't. And when you look at other candidates for fighter of the year:

Garcia beat Judah
    Adonis beat Boone, Bellew and Cloud
    Kovalev beat Campillo, White and Cleverly

Agbeko is at least on the level of those opponents.
    FOTY is definitely either Rigo, Floyd, Bradley, or Garcia IMO. I don't think Kovalev or Stevenson should get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Ducketts
      Will you feel this way when Rigo climbs 17-20 lbs? I doubt that. WTF
      What's your point? Rigo isn't as big as Floyd dummy. So it's obvious his power wouldnt go up with him.

Y'all fl0mos need to take a step back, ya heard me? I ain't nobody here trying to diss Mayweather.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners
        To be fair, Mayweather is on his 4th and 5th weight classes at 147-154. Rigondeaux has only been at 122 as a pro. Mayweather at 130 brought the fire.

But the funny thing is, and I'm a huge Rigondeaux fan, had Mayweather fought someone like Agbeko, he'd have gotten NO CREDIT no matter how good he looked. Agbeko was basically coming off two losses, moving up in weight, and coming off like a 2 year layoff (he had that one fight back in February against that nobody I guess). I mean if Floyd fights something like that, basically something like a Khan fight, he'd get NO CREDIT. So Rigondeaux looked good against Agbeko, but I mean it's not counted as a solid win for me.
        And Rigo is getting credit for Agbeko? All I hear is that we was boring as ****.

Comment

People need to get off this weight ****. You really think this guy has the frame to put on 20 pounds and fight at Junior Welterweight:

This is next to Manny Pacquiao who is a little man himself.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn
            Quote:

Originally Posted by .:: JSFD26 ::.

We saw what Mayweather does to his opponents in the Rigo fight. The only difference is Mayweather's opponents keep coming cause they don't respect his power. And Rigo broke his opponent down in one round after a few good shots. Once they feel Rigo's power they're like "nah uh."

If only Rigo would've turned pro earlier. It's tough being Cuban. All these fighters are would've/could've.

The only problem with this analysis is it compares Floyd fighting at 147/154 this far into his career to Rigo fighting at his natural weight. GRanted, Rigo could be 85 yrs old for all we know.

A more valid comparison would be to floyd at 130/135. Below 140 floyd is 31-0 and 21KO's, (80% of his total KO's), above 140 14-0, 5 KO's.
            Leave the excuses at the door mang. Pacquiao is smaller than Floyd and still bringing the heat at 147+.

Or let me guess, it's the roids?

Comment

At this rate, Rigo will never be able to find any opponents. Agbeko was so bad his trainer wanted to fire him.

Comment

Originally posted by .:: JSFD26 ::. View Post
                And Rigo is getting credit for Agbeko? All I hear is that we was boring as ****.

I hear people talking about what a display he put on against Agbeko, and how his opponents just don't want anything to do against him, based on what we saw last night again. Nothing happened that I didn't expect. Agbeko hasn't really been relevant since 2011, but it's nice to see Rigo got another HBO fight. Too bad we'll never see Rigo-Santa Cruz.

Comment

Rigo has these guys shook. No one wants to feel his power. These guys are too shook to throw their right hand because they know they are going to get countered
                  Last edited by DosRounds; 12-09-2013, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
                    Yeah so comparing Floyd fighting at 36 in his 4th and 5th weight classes, when a guy is on his only weight class isn't fair in terms of power. People act like Floyd didn't bring the heat at his first weight class, probably because they weren't watching the sport in 98'.
                    But Floyd grew into welterweight. Full fledged. he can fight no lower. The comparo is valid. Both are over 30 and both are full fledged in there respective weightclasses. Floyd moved up and grew in size. Rigo turned pro late. You can't compare a 22 yo Floyd to a 33 yo Rigo. Sorry, does not work like that.

Comment

All I was simply pointing out was how Rigo completely shutdowns his opponents. And how quickly he does it.

Even in the Donaire fight, he set the tone in the first round when he told Donaire "Im faster and hit harder than you."

He simply didn't show any intimidation despite being referred to as the chinny fighter.

Comment

Working...
                      X