Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Roy Jones deserve to be considered an elite ATG?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Roy Jones deserve to be considered an elite ATG?

He had some awesome skills back in the '90's but then again, he fought a lot of stiffs. He had beaten James Toney and outpointed Hopkins earlier in his career. Even though he holds wins over them, do you believe he was really superior? He was an excellent fighter but I don't think he was quite as good as Hopkins...

Yes, absolutely.

Comment

I should slap the **** out of YOU for even asking this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mintcar923 View Post
        He had some awesome skills back in the '90's but then again, he fought a lot of stiffs. He had beaten James Toney and outpointed Hopkins earlier in his career. Even though he holds wins over them, do you believe he was really superior? He was an excellent fighter but I don't think he was quite as good as Hopkins...
        Yes, and I generally find that virtually the only people on the other side of this debate are people not old enough to vividly remember his prime career, but are old enough to remember Hopkins' era of dominance..

Comment

Of course he deserves does, silly question. People seem to forget not long ago he was hailed as the GOAT....

Comment

Without a doubt!

Comment

People love to harp on his lack of fundamentals, bla bla bla.... Fact is, he had some amazing accomplishments and, unorthodox or not, he was wrecking guys. I don't think you can discredit someone's prime accomplishments because of what happens when they stick around for too long.

Comment

Originally posted by Mintcar923 View Post
                Why did you use the word "beat" for Toney and "outpoint " for Hopkins? He beat both in UDs that were decisive, and in bouts where it was pretty obvious that he basically controlled the fights.

He koed undefeated light heavyweight champion Montel Griffin (who had defeated James Toney twice) in 1 round like he was a bum.

He koed 2 time light heavyweight champ Virgil Hill with a BODY SHOT in the 4th round.

He went for a decade without a fight that was even competitive, and when he finally lost it was pretty obvious that he was shot given the quality of some of the opponents in his subsequent losses..
                Last edited by res; 04-18-2012, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Where is Reed when we need him?

Absolutely Jones is an ATG ffs. He may not be "The GOAT" but he sure is hell is an elite ATG.....any Top-20 All-Time P4P that doesn't have Jones on it is just plain wrong.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by res View Post
                    Why did you use the word "beat" for Toney and "outpoint " for Hopkins? He beat both in UDs that were decisive, and in bouts where it was pretty obvious that he basically controlled the fights.

He koed undefeated light heavyweight champion Montel Griffin (who had defeated James Toney twice) in 1 round like he was a bum.

He koed 2 time light heavyweight champ Virgil Hill with a BODY SHOT in the 4th round.

He went for a decade without a fight that was even competitive, and when he finally lost it was pretty obvious that he was shot given the quality of some of the opponents in his subsequent losses..
                    Just to clear that up I didn't mean any disrespect by using two different terms. It just seemed to be better grammar to use two different words. And, I don't disrespect Jones by questioning just how superior he may have been to his peers. I'm just not understanding how all of a sudden Roy was shot when he started losing. Unlike Hopkins and Toney, he didn't seem as though he had the tougher fights.
                    Last edited by Mintcar923; 04-18-2012, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X