Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Floyd "retire" in 2007 because he was shook by the 147 division heating up?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't talked about this subject in a minute, but why would Floyd need to retire to do that?

He was not even lined up to fight those guys, if he fought on he would have fought Oscar which would have paid Floyd more than fighting both guys in 2007. Why would a guy retire when he isn't going to fight those guys anyways~ Floyd was already getting a lot of junk at the time, so it is not like he was some beloved figure trying to save face.

He retired because he didn't like the deal Oscar offered him, so he went away hoping he could get a better offer later or for something else to come up, Oscar got his ass beat so Floyd had to go on in a different direction. No to mention after Oscar getting whooped, GBP would have been much more accommodating in backing up the Brinks truck to Floyd's house because they needed his star.

IF you need to ask this question still, you will never know~

Comment

Idc that he retired. It was his right and he really didn't have anything to prove. Margarita, cotto and p will? Good fighters. They don't make or break his resume. The one fight that would have made a difference is Pac. Stop whining about his vacation. He didn't miss much. I'm tired of hearing about that crap.

Comment

I really respect Floyd, and I would've even favored him in some of these fights, but this is true. I can't deny it.

Comment

When Michael Jordan retired was it because the eastern conference was heating up?

I dont get it. If Floyd manages to be active now and still duck manny, sergio, and canelo then couldnt he have fought back then while avoiding certain names?

Comment

Cotto in his prime could never touch Floyd. Hes a bleeder. Nobody with any damn sense would pick a prime Cotto over a prime Floyd Mayweather. Facing Floyd in 2012 and not 2007 was the best carreer move Cotto ever made.

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom. View Post
              Did Floyd "retire" after fighting the 140 boxer Ricky Hatton because he was shook at the idea of fighting all the prime welterweight at that time?

Mosley was still very good at that time, and he called Floyd out on ESPN in 2007. There were people like Margarito, prime Cotto, Clottey (who beat the former Floyd opponent Corrales), and Paul Williams.

Did Floyd "retire" to avoid those guys?

Floyd made Hatton move up to 147 and fight in his hometown, but Floyd would never consider moving up a weight division and fighting Vernon Forrest.
              And Mosley was even better in 2005. Floyd called that version out on, even better: HBO.

Floyd did consider moving up a weight division, he went up to 154 to fight WBC champion and #3 ranked Oscar De La Hoya, before "Making" Hatton move up to 147 the same year. Nobody wanted to fight Forrest at 154, so why should Floyd have?

Comment

I dont think he was shook at all.

Though there were names in the division that doesnt mean they were viable options:

Shane : Didnt want to fight

Cotto & Margirito: Both Top Rank fighters. Has floyd fought any top rank fighters since he left? No, him and arum hate each other and they are never gonna put money in the others pocket. Never (thats why the pac fight didnt happen...every other reason youve heard is bs)

Paul Will: Well everyone ducked him, but it also seems like floyd doesnt fight any fighters who are also managed by Al Haymon, if you notice berto was never mentioned as an opponent for floyd and he is also managed by haymon.

Clottey: He was in no way worth fighting.

I cant think of anyone else worth fighting at the time. Pac wasnt even a welter then.

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom. View Post
                  He's definmitely not a bona fide ATG, he's avoided too many boxers.

He ducked Kostya Tszyu, whom he could have fought anytime between 2000 and 2004.

Floyd demanded smaller boxers like 135 JMM and 140 Hatton move up to fight him at 147 , but when Floyd was at 130/135 he was afraid of going up to 140 to fight Kostya.
                  I was with you until the bold. He didn't enter 140 until 2004, Kostya was hurt at the time, after the Leija fight. Do you not remember or were you not watching boxing?
                  Last edited by Rip Chudd; 01-17-2013, 02:48 PM.

Comment

The question that matters is that if Floyd had Miguel Cotto @ 147, Margarito and Paul Williams on his resume, how would that change his ATG status?

I can't imagine it would have done much.

Comment

Man you guys make the same 10 threads rinse and repeat. It's the exact reason NSB has turned to ****.

Comment

Working...
                      X