No announcement yet.

Some random thoughts/questions on the state of boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some random thoughts/questions on the state of boxing

TL DR how the **** did boxing get the way it is today?

I sometimes get these revelation type moments and i thought it was pretty interesting and wanted to know you guys thoughts on it. I guess this is directed towards the older heads.

First i want to talk about "prime". today mother****ers are hitting prime and they are already 30+. I remember commentary or interviews where they mention retirement at like 28. What is everyone doing differently that they can defy human physics?

How do you guys feel about the Pac/May situation as a whole in regards to boxing itself? Here you got two elite guys who are both big money makers that could fight each other but instead fight other fighters. They make these other fighters look ordinary and they become the new standard, the goal. No one gives a **** about the other fighters fighting other fighters because they are not the best anyways. and being 3rd best or whatever aint **** anyways because the 1/2 can fight anyone they want, not a mandatory.

My feeling is that there has to be a definitive order of rankings. There cant be two #1s. Boxing landscape would be way different, more entertaining and exciting. Today people say Pac or May is great and the other is good and the rest are all hype jobs. Take away pac/may and the other fighters are gonna ****in rumble for that top spot and we as fans would be the damn winners. Let these supposed hype jobs shine when theres no pac or may to compare with.

This is the major reason those two mother****ers should fight. Determine definitively who the ****ing alpha dog is. Theres two top guys and everyone is copying them aiming for money fights. Get these other fighters to just gun for that top guy instead of fighting some random guy who just happens to bring good money to the table. Im not complaining that the random #12 Billy Joe boxer has a huge following and made big money fighting the champ in a ppv. Im complaining that its allowed for the non-qualified to fight with the big boys without earning it just on the basis that the mother****er has a huge fanbase. This **** totally defeats the concept of champ/contender.

Today boxing is stagnant and in a rut just getting more and more corrupt. but it will never die as long as there are men. because men love to fight and watch other men fight.

Originally posted by davidandrei View Post
    TL DR how the **** did boxing get the way it is today?

I sometimes get these revelation type moments and i thought it was pretty interesting and wanted to know you guys thoughts on it. I guess this is directed towards the older heads.

First i want to talk about "prime". today mother****ers are hitting prime and they are already 30+. I remember commentary or interviews where they mention retirement at like 28. What is everyone doing differently that they can defy human physics?

How do you guys feel about the Pac/May situation as a whole in regards to boxing itself? Here you got two elite guys who are both big money makers that could fight each other but instead fight other fighters. They make these other fighters look ordinary and they become the new standard, the goal. No one gives a **** about the other fighters fighting other fighters because they are not the best anyways. and being 3rd best or whatever aint **** anyways because the 1/2 can fight anyone they want, not a mandatory.

My feeling is that there has to be a definitive order of rankings. There cant be two #1s. Boxing landscape would be way different, more entertaining and exciting. Today people say Pac or May is great and the other is good and the rest are all hype jobs. Take away pac/may and the other fighters are gonna ****in rumble for that top spot and we as fans would be the damn winners. Let these supposed hype jobs shine when theres no pac or may to compare with.

This is the major reason those two mother****ers should fight. Determine definitively who the ****ing alpha dog is. Theres two top guys and everyone is copying them aiming for money fights. Get these other fighters to just gun for that top guy instead of fighting some random guy who just happens to bring good money to the table. Im not complaining that the random #12 Billy Joe boxer has a huge following and made big money fighting the champ in a ppv. Im complaining that its allowed for the non-qualified to fight with the big boys without earning it just on the basis that the mother****er has a huge fanbase. This **** totally defeats the concept of champ/contender.

Today boxing is stagnant and in a rut just getting more and more corrupt. but it will never die as long as there are men. because men love to fight and watch other men fight.
    The age aspect is one for debate. Some argue that better vitamins and life styles and diets are helping fighters to last longer and therefore, peak later. I honestly have to say I am no tin total agreement here. What do you think the fighters of the old days ate? Garbage? Anyone who gets to be in great physical condition is not eating junk. Of course, some seem to take on an evolutionary type theory with boxing that everything gets better as it goes along. I'm more of a "There is nothing ne under the sun" type guy. Some guys jut have more longevity while others don't. Archie Moore fought until around fifty and Jack Johnson was doing exhibitions in his fifties. Fighting to an old age is nothing new but every generation wants to think they are getting it right when in truth, they have ups and downs like every other generation before or after.

As far Pac and Mayweather, I agree. It is disgraceful and if it is not their next fight, I highly doubt they will ever fight. I can't remember a time in my lifetime where two guys so destined to fight with such huge money at stake, did not actually fight. The more money at stake, the better chance there is it will get made. Yet, not here. Some blame Bob Arum. Some blame Pacquiao. Some blame Mayweather. Either way, we as fans just want the fight, regardless of blame. If you order a filet mignon at a restaurant and it isn't cooked the way you want, you don't know whose to blame but you know you are not satisfied as a customer which is what fans are- customers. And sadly enough my friend, boxing does not seem to care about it's own customers nearly like it should.

Maybe they will meet, but don't count on the ratings or anything about boxing getting better in the near future. Too many titles, weight classes and overhyped fighters aren't going anywhere for a while.

Comment

I honestly believe that aside from new training method and specialized diets, the fact tha these new age fighters only take 2 or 3 fights a year against limited opposition has to attribute to their longevity. Honestly, their body isn't enduring as much wear and tear therefore their careers may be longer than in he past.

In regards to Floyd and Pacquiao, I reserve my comment. Otherwise I'd be wasting my time further on a subject that has been beaten to death and revived several times over.

Comment

Age is likely due to a number of factors as pointed out nutrition is big, but fewer gym wars, less activity so less wear n'tear. Better medical treatment is huge. In the past fighters fought injured and made things worse. But I think the single biggest contributors may be the switch to a 24hr weigh-in and the addition of new weight classes. As you get older, it gets harder to cut weight (imagine cutting weight the morning of the fight!). Today, fighters have 24hrs and can use new methods of rehydration. Also fighters don't have to move up from 147 to 160, now they have 154 or from 160 to 175, there's 168.

But here's a differnt reason; Hagler's career ended the same time Hopkins, Martinez, and Golovkin all really started. Marvin accomplished everything he wanted and when he couldn't get the Leonard rematch he called it quits. He had a long career at an earlier age and became the dominant champion before those other guys, then got his money fights. He was ready to step away. Bernard had to wait alot longer for any super fights, so did Sergio, Gennady still hasn't got one. The old days the best often had to fight the best in order to make big money, no guaranteed big tv money.

As for Manny & Floyd. Ever wonder why Rocky Graziano never fought Jake LaMotta? Two super popular MW's in the same time period, both from NYC? Supposedly mobsters wouldn't let one cash cow (LaMotta) kill the other(Graziano). But that kind of thing has been around from the very beginning of prize fighting. Greb had to go years as the highest ranked MW and even LHW champ before he was allowed to fight the MW champ Wilson. When two guys make lots of money on their own, and a loss could change that, very hard to make those fights.

Comment

Great thead great post keep talking ya

Comment

Working...
          X