No announcement yet.

thrilla in manilla

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
    He would've, but Ali didn't seem to want to continue. So, do you think if Futch doesn't stop the fight that Ali quits on his stool or that maybe Dundee stops it for Ali, giving Frazier the win?

Or, does Ali grin and bear it, come out for the 15th and win a decision?
    I think Dundee put it best.

Ali went out to fight blind against LISTON.

Ali wasn't going to give up that easily, and Dundee wasn't going to let him. I don't even think Pacheco was going to.
    Originally posted by cameronpaul View Post
    i just think frazier should have least have been given the chance to come out in the 15, if ali had retired then frazier wins and if ali does come out and starts to deal more punishment then throw the towel in when needed, but at least let a fighter whos willing to come out a chance.
    That's how fighters get hurt really badly. Permanantly.

They're fighters. They're supposed to want to keep fighting, it is their corners' duty to protect them, sometimes from themselves.

Futch did that

Comment

Okay then, so Ali probably still wins a decision if both guys are alive by the end. I don't really blame Futch either, but can certainly understand Frazier's point of view of all that hard work and wanting to go out on his own terms. But that's also how you end up like Apollo Creed in Rocky 4, the main character in The Champ Duk Koo Kim, that Garcia guy that died against Gabriel Ruelas and countless others. And you're supposed to want to fight, but a lot of guys don't want to continue either, like Golota or Liston in the first Ali fight, so at least Frazier was willing to go the distance.

Comment

Frazier would try go the distance against a T-Rex.

George Foreman was bad enough.

Some dudes are too brave for their own good. Frazier is one of them. Gatti another, Marciano, Ali, Margarito, LaMotta e.t.c

Sometimes someone else has to look out for their health when all they are thinking about is tearing the other dudes head off. Whether they can achieve it or not.

Garcia ****ed up and let Pacquiao effectively end Margarito's career and seriously injure him. Futch avoided this possibly happening to Frazier.

Comment

Yes too brave for their own good. Pride can be a good thing, but there can be too much of it as well. I guess that's why it's also one of the 7 deadly sins.

I more often gravitate toward watching a fighter like Frazier, not just a boxer, rather than someone like Ali, although I did like watching Ali's career set as well, along with Sugar Ray Leonard, Robinson, Whitaker, De La Hoya, Jones and Mayweather as well, which I will watch again when he retires. More often than not though, I prefer warriors like Frazier, Gatti, Marciano or big punchers like Liston, Tyson, Foreman.

Comment

Working...
          X