Collapse
No announcement yet.

Great Weightlifting Boxers

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Virtually every good fighter in the last 20 years uses weights. As long as you use them properly, they not only increase your strength and power but speed too.

Tszyu, Mosley, and Darchinyan are all known for being exceptionally strong in the weights room. In fact I have read Darchinyan, who last fought at 118 lbs, can bench 250 lbs

Comment

Franco Columbu was an amatuer boxer, 4 time mr.olympia, powerlifting champion of europe, and benched 525 at 5 foot 5 180lbs.

here he is hanging with arnold back in the day

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
        Mike Tyson could benchpress 500lbs
        for real?

Comment

Originally posted by RockyB View Post
          for real?
          no ****in way

Comment

Originally posted by RealDeal '86 View Post
            Virtually every good fighter in the last 20 years uses weights. As long as you use them properly, they not only increase your strength and power but speed too.

Tszyu, Mosley, and Darchinyan are all known for being exceptionally strong in the weights room. In fact I have read Darchinyan, who last fought at 118 lbs, can bench 250 lbs

No offence but id put money on that not being true, not calling you! a liar though.

Ive seen guys in the gym that were 195lbs who could not lift that much, that is a lot!! of weight for a guy that size, he would be a lot more muscled than he is or heavier if he could do that.

I used to bench press 115KG myself max, but i was 168lbs at the time. If you went down the gym you would be hard pressed to find a guy that size who could lift that much without being on the gear, trust me.

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamite Kid View Post
              No offence but id put money on that not being true, not calling you! a liar though.

Ive seen guys in the gym that were 195lbs who could not lift that much, that is a lot!! of weight for a guy that size, he would be a lot more muscled than he is or heavier if he could do that.

I used to bench press 115KG myself max, but i was 168lbs at the time. If you went down the gym you would be hard pressed to find a guy that size who could lift that much without being on the gear, trust me.
              I dunno, just read it. I wouldn't doubt it, Vic is a strong muthafuka

Comment

Originally posted by Billolden View Post
                Franco Columbu was an amatuer boxer, 4 time mr.olympia, powerlifting champion of europe, and benched 525 at 5 foot 5 180lbs.

here he is hanging with arnold back in the day
                ** Columbu was the real deal in the day and was a talented boxer. In his projected weight class, he probably did much better financially and healthwise turning body builder although I can't imagine those steroids did his health any favors.

Strongest man to EVER put on the gloves is Paul Anderson, finishing his career at 2-1, 2 KO. Here's the account of his last bout: Anderson knocked Tondo down 3 times, but ran out of gas. The Ring, July, 1960, page 58

Anderson was 5-9, 300-350 lbs and set all manner of state, national, world powerlift and Olympic lift records in the late 50s-60s. and holds the record for the most weight lifted, a half dead lift of some 1200+ lbs. Likely he could take one of these cheap import trucks and roll up the back of the cab with his bare hands. Got a wild hair at age 27 and boxed for a couple of months.

Believe Rahman is on record as benching 500-550lbs. Weights are used in boxing now, but I assumed the question pertained to weight lifters who were boxers or vice versa, and most weight training in boxing ain't traditional lifting.

Think Mosley competed in some powerlift tourneys, and guys like Too Tall Jones and the like would have lifted prodigious amounts. Don't think Valuev lifts much if any, but the guy can throw around 200-230 lb fighters like rag dolls when he gets off his boxing discipline in a manner suggestive of Andre the Giant.

Comment

Originally posted by RealDeal '86 View Post
                  I dunno, just read it. I wouldn't doubt it, Vic is a strong muthafuka
                  If you had weight trained on regular basis you would know its extremely doubtful believe me.

I worked out with a guy who was on steroids he was only benching 120/130lbs, he worked out 5 times a week occasionally, he also had 6 stone on Darchinyan.
                  Last edited by Dynamite Kid; 10-07-2009, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Believe Rahman is on record as benching 500-550lbs. Weights are used in boxing now, but I assumed the question pertained to weight lifters who were boxers or vice versa, and most weight training in boxing ain't traditional lifting.

No offence but this is pure fantasy.

Ive worked out for years and been to many gyms and ive never!! seen anyone bench press 200kg+, let alone a Boxer who does not use steroids.

There is no way in the world Rahman can bench that, no way!

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamite Kid View Post
                      If you had weight trained on regular basis you would know its extremely doubtful believe me.

I worked out with a guy who was on steroids he was only benching 120/130lbs, he worked out 5 times a week occasionally, he also had 6 stone on Darchinyan.
                      Back in my high school PE days, there's was a wrestling star who competed at 140 lbs. and I saw him max 280 lbs. But he was built and stocky for a guy 5'6". So while I it's very possible for a guy Darchinyan's size to lift over 250 lbs, I don't think he can based on his physique. Could be wrong, but I just don't see it.

Comment

Working...
                      X