No announcement yet.

How can you rank Canelo no.1 at 154?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can you rank Canelo no.1 at 154?

TBRB, the RING and Boxingscene all rank Canelo as no.1 at 154, below Champion Floyd Mayweather.

Yet, he hasn't fought in the division for two fights, and if i'm not mistaken, is about to take a 3rd fight outside of 154. You'd think after two fights (as well as a clear intention not to fight there next), he'd be removed from the rankings.

Lara has a TKO victory over Angulo (despite a tough fight), and complete wipeouts over Trout and Smith, all at 154 which I feel warrants him to be ranked higher than Canelo at the weight, if Canelo deserves to be ranked there at all.

Is this nitpicking? Weight divisions are there for a reason. If you fight outside the weight, you shouldn't be ranked there, nor should your victories count unless they are in that division. I'm well aware fighters, often lower ranked ones, take fights a few pounds north of a division, but they don't usually affect the top rankings of a division.

Thoughts?

Ishe smith #1 he's just had a few bad nights

Comment

i'm guessing because the snake??

Comment

I completely agree.

Since you brought up the subject, I can't understand how Floyd is still considered the light middleweight champion. I mean, he doesn't even fight in this division.

Lara is only WBA 'regular' champion despite the fact that Floyd has not defended his WBA title at the divisional limit of 154 pounds in almost 3 years. He made one defense against Canelo... 19 months ago... and at a catchweight of 152 pounds. He is not planning to fight at 154 anytime soon either.

RING MAGAZINE... " Here are the seven situations in which a champion can lose his belt:

4. The Champion does not schedule a fight at his championship weight for 18 months (even if he fights at another weight). "

Comment

Completely agree, he hasnt had a win in the division since April 20th, 2013. Thats almost exactly 2 years.

Same with Danny Garcia, he hasnt had a "win" at 140 in more than a year

Comment

You're not wrong about dropping him since he's going on his third fight in a row over 154, but no one else has done anything to supplant him. Like it or not, Alvarez did get a decision he deserved against Lara, and that trumps Lara's other wins at the moment.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
                You're not wrong about dropping him since he's going on his third fight in a row over 154, but no one else has done anything to supplant him. Like it or not, Alvarez did get a decision he deserved against Lara, and that trumps Lara's other wins at the moment.
                Yea but that fight was at MW.

Comment

Originally posted by techliam View Post
                  TBRB, the RING and Boxingscene all rank Canelo as no.1 at 154, below Champion Floyd Mayweather.

Yet, he hasn't fought in the division for two fights, and if i'm not mistaken, is about to take a 3rd fight outside of 154. You'd think after two fights (as well as a clear intention not to fight there next), he'd be removed from the rankings.

Lara has a TKO victory over Angulo (despite a tough fight), and complete wipeouts over Trout and Smith, all at 154 which I feel warrants him to be ranked higher than Canelo at the weight, if Canelo deserves to be ranked there at all.

Is this nitpicking? Weight divisions are there for a reason. If you fight outside the weight, you shouldn't be ranked there, nor should your victories count unless they are in that division. I'm well aware fighters, often lower ranked ones, take fights a few pounds north of a division, but they don't usually affect the top rankings of a division.

Thoughts?
                  He's Canelo. He gets the special white privilege treatment.

Comment

You are making a federal case over a pound. Everybody ranks him number one because his record says he is number one. Boxrec also ranks him right behind Mayweather. Non title fights don't have to be fought at the class limit and seldom are. Hundreds of other fighters fight a pound or two over the class weight limit in non title fights. It's not against any rules and there is nothing wrong with it. Hell, Kirkland fought at a catchweight of 156 in his last fight. Clearly large junior middleweights like Kirkland and Canelo have to sruggle to make 154 and they won't do it unless it's for a title. This does no one harm and breaks no rules. When Canelo was the 154 pound champion he always weighed 154 or less when he defended his title didn't he. If he fights for the 154 pound title again he will make 154 again. If he can't make weight he will move up to 160. If you don't think he deserves to be ranked as the top 154 pounder then don't rank him there. All the ranking places will still have him right behind Mayweather at 154 and rightfully so. What you should be asking is why Mayweather is number one at 154 when he hasn't fought at that weight in well over a year and as no plans to ever fight at that weight again.

Comment

Working...
                    X