Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fury & Wilder's Recent Wins - A sign that "safety first" continues after Klitschko?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fury & Wilder's Recent Wins - A sign that "safety first" continues after Klitschko?

Fury vs Chisora and Wilder vs Stiverne were examples where taller, rangier boxers used their size advantages to box their opponents using primarily the jab for large parts of the fight and not engaging/avoiding exchanges as much as possible, similar to Wladimirs "safety first" style, with perhaps less clinching.

If these guys prove to be the top tier next generation heavyweights, it might just be that they'll continue with this style, meaning the resurrection of the division might not actually happen like many had hoped. We might still have tall, rangy, safety first fighters in pole position for years to come.

Just a thought..

You need to read an article on the extreme basics of boxing. It's called "fighting tall".

Wilder and Fury are pushing 7 ft tall, you're somehow surprised they like to use their jab to keep shorter guys off of them, and think Wlad is a pioneer of this style? LOL

That isn't "safety first", it's geometry
    Last edited by ////; 01-22-2015, 03:11 AM.

Comment

Interesting subject you bring up, I hadn't thought about it in that manner. You do have a point.

I have been dissapointed by the boxing oriented styles both Fury and Wilder have displayed in their last bouts. I find it boring, lackluster... specially for the power division of the sport. Thankfully, it is not the main division and it is actually outshadowed by more exciting weight classes.

If Stiverne rematches Wilder, Im turning on Wilder and rooting for Bware this time lol.

Comment

Chisora got stopped

Stiverne ended up in hospital

Comment

Originally posted by 80sFighter View Post
          You need to read an article on the extreme basics of boxing. It's called "fighting tall".

Wilder and Fury are pushing 7 ft tall, you're somehow surprised they like to use their jab to keep shorter guys off of them, and think Wlad is a pioneer of this style? LOL

That isn't "safety first", it's geometry
          I'm not surprised they're using that style, it's logically the best style to use but it's much more common at the lower weights - boxing is about hitting and not getting hit. But for a long time many have wanted Wlad out of the game because of his excessive clinching and "boring" jab-filled style as a heavyweight. People prefer to see high drama in the heavyweight division, not methodical highly repetitive jabbing.

Many thought that with Klitschko out of the game, the heavyweight division might catch fire again but we saw both Fury and Wilder use a defensive style to outbox two very good shorter fighters, fairly easily. So it sets the trend for them to continue boxing with that style. It means the heavyweight division might continue along the same self-destructive fan-unfriendly path.

And incidentally Chisora and Stiverne are arguably both better than Wlad's last 5, 6 or 7 opponents too.

Comment

Don't put the way Fury and Wilder fought in with the way Wlad fights. They didn't hold 200 times during the fight.

Comment

It ain't safe for the other guy I assure you.

Comment

I think Fury would've brutally KO'd Chisora if his corner hadn't pulled him out. I found the Wilder-Stiverne fight very entertaining.

At least they weren't hugging every 10 seconds.

Comment

well, fury and wilder didnt clinch as soon as the smaller fighter gets on the inside. they just fight how they should be. Its just a case of the opponents inability to get inside. if you put tyson/prime tua/ike ibeabuchi/prime holyfield in there with fury or wilder, i can promise that the fight wont be boring.

if fighters in the lower weight classes, who fight tall (algieri,crawford) are matched up against slow plodders, then the fight will be boring. if you match them right (provodniklv, gamboa) it will be exciting.

Comment

safety first is hugging your opponent 187 times so he can't throw punches at your brittle chin

Comment

Working...
                    X