No announcement yet.

Ufc signs cris cyborg – big news for women’s mma

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ufc signs cris cyborg – big news for women’s mma

Cyborg has finally been signed by the UFC after years and years of campaigning on the ex-Strike Force and Invicta champ’s part.

Going down to 140 is a questionable move, but she wants to make better money so I understand. I hope they don't talk her into draining to 135 as she'll be a shell of herself.

Comment

So he is just going to fight catch weight bouts? Or is he going to join the Men's Featherweight division?

Comment

Seems like the move to make. At this point with Ronda & now Holly losing & arguably the UFC having its weakest womans champion ever they could use some more talent in the 135 division. And now they don't necessarily gotta talk about paying Cyborg big money for a Ronda fight at 135, they can talk lesser money for her first fight at 135 vs some cannon fodder level opponents. I'd be shocked if Cyborg isn't coming into the 135 division although I suppose its possible we see Holly vs Cyborg at 140 (Holly has said she'll do whatever to get a title fight & she's said she'd go up to fight Cyborg) with the winner getting a title shot.

Comment

Cyborg was already signed to the UFC as part of the Strikeforce buyout, and UFC was paying her salary for Invicta (they were concerned with keeping her away from Bellator and keeping Rousey with the brand as the top female fighter).

It'll be interesting to see how she handles 140lb, but it sounds like 135lb is out of the question.

Comment

If 135 is tough for her, why don't they create a 145 division, which is where she is used to fighting? They could use another women's weight class anyway and Cyborg would be more comfortable..

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
              If 135 is tough for her, why don't they create a 145 division, which is where she is used to fighting? They could use another women's weight class anyway and Cyborg would be more comfortable..
              Not enough good fighters at 145. I suspect they'd go with a 125 division in between there current two divisions if they added another division.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                Because they don't want her to win. She's not marketable enough at least not in the way they want their brand represented. Look at the ones they invest in; McGregor, Rousey, Northcutt, etc. There's plenty of talent at 145 out there, it's just not something they want to invest in.
                They are only interested in building her up if they can sell her a monster and draining her to make one of their 135lbers look good in a beauty vs beast "superfight". They made that pretty apparent last year when they had Rousey taunting her to come down to 135.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                  Seems like the move to make. At this point with Ronda & now Holly losing & arguably the UFC having its weakest womans champion ever they could use some more talent in the 135 division. And now they don't necessarily gotta talk about paying Cyborg big money for a Ronda fight at 135, they can talk lesser money for her first fight at 135 vs some cannon fodder level opponents. I'd be shocked if Cyborg isn't coming into the 135 division although I suppose its possible we see Holly vs Cyborg at 140 (Holly has said she'll do whatever to get a title fight & she's said she'd go up to fight Cyborg) with the winner getting a title shot.
                  Matt Damon

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
                    Because they don't want her to win. She's not marketable enough at least not in the way they want their brand represented. Look at the ones they invest in; McGregor, Rousey, Northcutt, etc. There's plenty of talent at 145 out there, it's just not something they want to invest in.
                    They are only interested in building her up if they can sell her a monster and draining her to make one of their 135lbers look good in a beauty vs beast "superfight". They made that pretty apparent last year when they had Rousey taunting her to come down to 135.
                    Well that sucks a$$.

Comment

Working...
                    X