No announcement yet.

WBA Super and Regular Champions?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WBA Super and Regular Champions?

Obviously boxing titles are a dime a dozen these days. Thirty years ago, we had the WBC and the WBA. Not too bad. Unification matches can make thngs interesting and one guy doesn't get to be called the undisputed champion unless he wins both.

Then came the IBF in the 1980s. So now there are three. Getting worse but still not totally ridiculous. And then of course the advent of 16 weight divisions instead of 8. Okay, we just went from 8 titles to 16 to 24 to 48.

Is something weird happening?

And then the WBO in the 1990s. Oh for how long was it looked down upon? And then finally around the end of the 1990s or maybe the early 2000s, it was recognized as one of the big boys while the WBF, WBU, IBO, IBA and whoever else involved was considered champion.

From 48 to 64 now.

64 guys can claim to be a "world" champion.

Even so, we then have the RING title come along which makes sense to differentiate. Of course, they don't always have a champion and when their title is vacated, well, we're left with no champion for a while.

And then we get even more complicated! The WBA introduces Super champions. Of course there are regular World champion(because World champion is so ordinary). So now let's tack on another 16 which brings us up to 80 possible world champions.

Are you confused yet?

We also have WBC Silver belts whatever the hell they are and then WBC interim belts and champion emeritus too.

Now while the whole thing is ridiculous and the boxers of pre-1980 must be turning in their graves, a Super champion is flat-out stupid. Let's just whip up another belt that can be put on the line and make a fight a title fight.

What is the answer? I am not sure. If these organizations were to go bankrupt, that would clear up some of the mess, but I don't see that happening too soon. I suppose the boxing commissions could agree not to sanction the fights as title fights. Good luck with that.

I recall on Raging Bull how Jake LaMotta tried to pawn his championship belt but instead traded the jewels and ended up with nothing since a world title belt was worth something...back then.

Nowadays, there must be thousands of belts to pawn. So I guess like the dollar, the value is down to nothing. It's a real shame, too.

Anyone have any ideas about how any of this could go away? I know the old days are gone, but this has gotten way out of hand.

It is a bit silly really. Next will be " Super Dooper " champion...
    We already seen how messy it can get, i think it was with the Mayweather / Canelo fight.

Comment

And I realize the WBU, WBF, IBO and IBA are not recognized. Failed to clear that up.

Comment

Don't forget all the interim champions and silver champions. If everybody has their own title they don't need to fight each other.

Comment

Wlad had to beat Chagaev and then Povetkin to be what I guess you would call WBA "Combined" champion. This is not very kind to the fighters to have to win five belts to be considered undisputed champion.

Comment

Originally posted by titanium View Post
            Don't forget all the interim champions and silver champions. If everybody has their own title they don't need to fight each other.
            Exactly and that does not encourage competition very well. Why fight the best when you have your own belt? They just have one belt, too.

Comment

WBA and WBC are ****

Comment

This is why Sergey Kovalev should be respected more. He won a title, built his name a little and then went after Hopkins. Stevenson is the Lineal Champion but really.. Who considers him the real champion?

It's important that boxers go after the best in the division and the other champions. Too much money to be made elsewhere though.

Comment

Originally posted by Cloud View Post
                  This is why Sergey Kovalev should be respected more. He won a title, built his name a little and then went after Hopkins. Stevenson is the Lineal Champion but really.. Who considers him the real champion?

It's important that boxers go after the best in the division and the other champions. Too much money to be made elsewhere though.
                  The multiple organizations makes it very tough. I agree. He did go after Hopkins and is definitely willing to face Stevenson. Either way, Stevenson is older and won't be around in a few years whereas I see Kovalev having a long successful career. He will fight anybody and that is one of the best attributes a fighter can have.

Comment

I just read an article spelling out how the WBA can make more money with more belts through sanctioning fees. Of course, the solution might be for fighters to stop paying them. Who wants to be an interim, regular or super champion anyway when the division can have two other champions within your own organization while you reign along with the other three recognized champions?

I know it's all about money, but this is flat-out thievery. I think fighters should boycott them.

Comment

Working...
                    X