Beginner - questions & advice

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginner - questions & advice

Hiya everyone,

I'm James & I'm 16. I found your forum on google & it looked the best with the most members so I joined up. I'm from England so wasnt to happy about Hatton getting beat

Oh well, anyway, I've spoken to a local boxer near me who runs a club & have aranged to go down & have a look about on Mondays training session & hopefully get training myself on Wednesday. He said not to train the first time, just make sure I want to start & like what I see.

I've done some MMA training so know to keep my chin down & keep my guard up. I wasnt to bad at sparing (most of the time it was using boxing gloves & head & body shots) so have a bit of boxing experience. I reall enjoyed it but it's 6 miles away right after school so I was struggling to get there to have a decent time to train. I was comefortable with jab's & straights but wasnt great at hooks & body shots, especially when trying to keep a guard up.

The boxing classes are later in the evenings which suit me alot better and one of my mates is coming along as well.

I'm nearly 6' 1" & have quite a long reach which should help me a bit hopefully.

I've always had weak wrists which brings me onto my first question. At MMA when using the heavyer bags I often hurt my wrists & had to stop, only for a few seconds whilst rotating it a bit but still, it would be better if I didnt have to do it.

Is there anything that you can do to strengthen them up, I have heard people talking about doing push upswith clenched fists?

Also, is there any difference between types of gloves, I mean are training gloves different to gloves that you would use in a fight?

Hand wraps, boxing boots & gum shields, are these needed at first or are they only for in fights, eg, would you wear them in training?

I think the club has everything that is needed but I'm trying to do some research & work out how much it will cost me about when I need to buy it all. So if anyone has ideas how much everything I would need will set me back then I would appreciate it. Also if I have missed anything off.

Sorry for all the questions but I dont know much about the actual training side of boxing.

Thanks alot
    James

6 miles away ouchhh. isnt there any closer ??

Comment

Firstly, welcome man.

You can't really strengthen your wrists as there isn't much muscle in them. If your wrists are hurting its because your not punching correctly.

Pushups with clenched fists are mainly for strengthening your knuckles making them bigger and harder.

Most people have training gloves like for bags and pads etc. Then separate ones for sparring usually heavier and bigger. You get given some for the fights.

I only have a gum shield and boots you won't really need the hand wraps unless you really have britle hands. Your gloves should have a lot of padding anyway.

Hope this answered everything for ya man.

Where you from?

Comment

you dont use handwraps? thats dumb you should always use handwraps.

Comment

Originally posted by p4pking_2007 View Post
          Firstly, welcome man.

You can't really strengthen your wrists as there isn't much muscle in them. If your wrists are hurting its because your not punching correctly.

Pushups with clenched fists are mainly for strengthening your knuckles making them bigger and harder.

Most people have training gloves like for bags and pads etc. Then separate ones for sparring usually heavier and bigger. You get given some for the fights.

I only have a gum shield and boots you won't really need the hand wraps unless you really have britle hands. Your gloves should have a lot of padding anyway.

Hope this answered everything for ya man.

Where you from?
          I'm from cumbria up in the north, boardering Scotland.

It's only a little village so this is the closest for me. It's a 7:30 for the boxing so bus times are alot better for me than having to get one straight after school, run accross town & arrive 30 minutes late each day for the MMA Training. Bus stop is right outside at the Boxing as well. Plus it's free so I can save a bit more money.

I probably was punching wrong then, it was mainly when hitting a bit further down the bag practising body shots which I was never any good at anyway.

I hated the Grappling mits as well, absolutly srpped my knuckles to shreds until I started wrapping them with tape, got big purple circular scars now on some, along with the countless burns off pans from my old washing up job their a bit battered lol. May need some form of wrap to make sure this doesnt happen again.

You get gloves for the fight? Suppose that makes sence in a way to make sure they are OK & fit with requirements as well.

I will see what they have there then might buy some of my own training ones depending on what everyone else does.

Do you ware your boots for training? Also why are they used, are they specifically designed to improve anything?

Thanks alot for the replys & I hope to learn alot from everyone on here.

James

Comment

Originally posted by West24 View Post
            you dont use handwraps? thats dumb you should always use handwraps.
            How is it dumb? What boxers do ya see using handwraps? With gloves on you don't need handwraps for the bags. My hands are fine from not using them. I only use them for the speedball.

Comment

Originally posted by James_Jm View Post
              I'm from cumbria up in the north, boardering Scotland.

It's only a little village so this is the closest for me. It's a 7:30 for the boxing so bus times are alot better for me than having to get one straight after school, run accross town & arrive 30 minutes late each day for the MMA Training. Bus stop is right outside at the Boxing as well. Plus it's free so I can save a bit more money.

I probably was punching wrong then, it was mainly when hitting a bit further down the bag practising body shots which I was never any good at anyway.

I hated the Grappling mits as well, absolutly srpped my knuckles to shreds until I started wrapping them with tape, got big purple circular scars now on some, along with the countless burns off pans from my old washing up job their a bit battered lol. May need some form of wrap to make sure this doesnt happen again.

You get gloves for the fight? Suppose that makes sence in a way to make sure they are OK & fit with requirements as well.

I will see what they have there then might buy some of my own training ones depending on what everyone else does.

Do you ware your boots for training? Also why are they used, are they specifically designed to improve anything?

Thanks alot for the replys & I hope to learn alot from everyone on here.

James
              Yeah so there the correct weight and same colour etc. So no advantages are to any fighter.

Yeah they are what you will use for the fight. So wghy not get use to them for training. They are extremely light compared to normal trainers. So they allow you to move around move and pivot better because they go up your leg.

Also, you should be doing some roadwork. Aim to do about a mile when starting and build up to 2/3 miles a day.

Comment

I will look at some then & see how much they cost, not sure of anywhere near me that sells them really.

When you say roadword do you just mean running, if so I was thinking of starting anyway to get my fitness up after a month or two of having our football games cancelled.

Off to watch the Khan fight now so will check the thread later.

james

Comment

you know handwraps are there to protect your hands right? so why would you use them in a fight where you generally dont land as hard and solid punches as you do on the bag, but not use them on the bag? makes no sence.

Comment

u have to wrap your hands in a fight its AIBA rules secondly i have shoes that i use when i box theyre very light and thin soled, but theyre not actually shoes designed specifically for boxing, although i am think that for my next fight i should probably get a pair as well as some new gear i looked like a hobo at my first fight lol

Comment

Working...
                    X