Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why cant Freddy Roach teach inside fighting?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why cant Freddy Roach teach inside fighting?

Does he have any fighters that can fight on the inside?or do they just throw flurries and move

Originally posted by Larryx2011 View Post
    Does he have any fighters that can fight on the inside?or do they just throw flurries and move

chavez jr // thread

its ALL he does well

oh that and take punches on the chin. he's good at that too.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
      chavez jr // thread

its ALL he does well

well he didnt train him to fight on the inside.he fought like that before Roach

Comment

its a flaw he has everyone knows, honestly thread worthy? only way you can find out is by asking him you're self until then you will never know

Comment

I think Manny's inside game has improved a lot, he is a lot less vulnerable there than in his lower weight days, he also throws a pretty nice check hook with the right hand which he has used in fights.

When you pick up pro fighters like Freddie Roach does, it is not easy to change them. You can maybe work on 1 or 2 things between fights, and you constantly have to cover over things to make sure fighters retain those improvements and don't fall back into bad habits. I disagree with people who say Khan has not improved, his defense has improved quite a bit, and I think the most important thing he has learned is not to only concentrate on his own offense, but to worry about what could come back. Yes Ariza has helped his punch resistance, and maybe Khan's learning curve has flattened in the past 12 months but I am sure he will improve further under Roach. Going with a Mayweather, Khan is not all of a sudden going to learn to shoulder roll and suddenly become a whole different fighter, that applies to any trainer, Manny Steward, whoever.

We have seen fighters change trainers a million times mid-career, and most of the time it does not lead to a sudden change of fortune. Sometimes you have success stories, but rarely are they sustained over a long period of time. The fighters habits and technical level are normally ingrained between 10-18 years old. For late starters obviously this does not apply. So it is very difficult to change fighters, that is why I have a lot of respect for Freddie as a trainer, especially when it comes to Pacquiao. I think Freddie is a good technical coach, but a great motivator, he gets fighters to believe in themselves, and that is an important trait. He also has a great eye, and can spot mistakes in other fighters, which is why he puts together great game plans, it makes me laugh when you guys criticise him for being one dimensional, he is not all knowing! He is just a trainer, the fighter must get in there and execute, and figure some things out on his own.

Floyd Mayweather is a great trainer in a different way, he has created one of the most beautiful technical fighters we have seen, based on his own style, it is a different type of success. Whenever big Floyd has picked up fighters later in their career he has not done great, I didn't see much improvement with Oscar or Hatton. Roger Mayweather has brought Floyd on also, as a fighter probably only 10-15%, but he is very important for Floyd mentally. Like I said this is an underrated commodity.

They are all great trainers in their own way, and deserve a lot of respect for what they have accomplished respectively. The criticism that especially Roach gets is a disgrace, it annoys me more than most things on NSB. And Steward does not get enough credit IMO, to many people with false agenda's. You can give a trainer or fighter credit ya know, even if you don't like them, or another fighter they may train.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
            chavez jr // thread

its ALL he does well

jr learned his inside fighting from his father. thats more than obvious and sr even stated so on a few occasions.

Comment

Originally posted by DempseyRollin View Post
              jr learned his inside fighting from his father. thats more than obvious and sr even stated so on a few occasions.
              exactly....................

Comment

Dejavu.............

Comment

Working...
                X