No announcement yet.

Just How Famous Is Amir In The UK

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
    As people have said, he was our sole success in boxing at the 04 Olympics. He's been a celebrity and rich since he was a teenager.

He's one of the wealthiest boxers in the world full stop and people on here don't seem to realise that. It always amuses me to see people saying he's "begging" for a Mayweather fight. Please....

Comment

People who don't know boxing know him

Comment

Most well known boxer in country

Comment

Probably the most well known active fighter in the UK. Although Froch and Groves are now well known since their fights made a lot of national press and Sky ramming it down everyones throats every 5 minutes.

He is well loved by the british-pakstani community, and that that is pretty big.

I'd say his star has somewhat faded in the past few years, not that many people really care. He doesn't have the hardcore fan base like Hatton. Hatton had that football (soccer) type following. Nobody is going to tune into his fights now unless they're pretty big boxing fans, unless he fights against Mayweather, maybe Pacquiao or Brook because sky will ram that down everyones throats like Froch v Groves.

So really. He is a famous name, can sell his fights out but he is not lauded as some kind of hero or draw a hardcore fan base a Ricky Hatton did. A lot of people actually dislike him too.

I got the feeling part of the reason why he didn't get the Mayweather fight over Maidana was because they realised he doesn't bring in the money like Hatton did. I think they thought he would bring a huge crowd and sell big PPV numbers in the UK like Hatton but they realised that isn't the case. I get the feeling people in America think he is more well liked in the UK than he really is.

Famous - yes, Popular - not really, most people don't care.

Comment

Working...
          X