Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guzman shot?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He's not shot but I think he's lost a step or two. And it's not just against Funeka, watch his previous fight against Ameth Diaz, although guzman won easily, he wasn't nearly as slick as he once was and ate a lot of unnecessary shots.

33 years of age can be old for smaller guys, especially guys that relay completely on reflexes. Add to that Guzman has had a reputation of not always being in the best condition and/or blowing up between fights, and it takes a toll on the body.

Against Funeka though he's just a beast. When a guy is that big and has such a high reach/height advantage over you, you're only real shot at winning is getting inside and applying constant pressure - and that is not Guzman's game, that's not what he shines at.

So him losing to Funeka on saturday was a combination of several things.

One thing though that he proved is he has a lot of heart and has a hell of a chin. I don't think there are many people at 135, if anyone, that could have survived that punishment and stayed on their feet after a few of those shots. That was brutally hard to watch and yet the guy kept smiling.
    Last edited by ИATAS; 11-30-2009, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spray_resistant View Post
      I thought his speed looked outstanding early on......if he would have been able to do what he did the first 2 rounds for most of the fight he would have won and made Funeka look slow in the process......without the busted nose and cut caused by a head clash the fight may have gone differently......I wish Guzman the best and hope they rematch sometime. even though Guzman should have lost it was still an entertaining scrap.
      He speed DID look good early on. But it looked so much slower to me than what I was used to seeing.

Comment

Nah I don't believe he is shot at all. As soon as Funeka busted his nose he continued to fight but he was clearly less focused. He had to deal with a few problems while trying to tackle a punching machine like Funeka. I also noticed he looked a little more stocky than usual.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
          He speed DID look good early on. But it looked so much slower to me than what I was used to seeing.
          I would have to watch some of his fights when he was younger to say.....but he still has some of the fastest hands and best reflexes in boxing today even at 33.

Comment

If Guzman doesn't come back from this, sad to say but I'll see him as the biggest waste of talent.

Comment

Originally posted by DrewWoodside View Post
              It looks like he tried to fight a more crowd pleasing action packed style. Combine that with the fact that Ali Funeka is a beast and you have the beat down we witnessed last Saturday. Funeka gives everyone in that division fits with his size, endurance and durability.
              you never really know but i might think its probably him having too lose so much weight between fights like whe he was supposed to fight nate campbell and he lost way too much weight

Comment

i dont think he is shot at all. i think he is a featherweight. some guys can bring power up in weight class with them and some cant. you look at him before he moved to 130 and then 135 and his ko rate was high. he hasnt kod anyone at 130/135. his style needs power to be effective. he is not a straight boxer in style he is a boxer puncher who needs power to be world class. i still think he could go and clean out 126 if he could make that weight. he has fast hands and throws great combinations. great footwork also

Comment

Originally posted by Showtime Shawn View Post
                  i dont think he is shot at all. i think he is a featherweight. some guys can bring power up in weight class with them and some cant. you look at him before he moved to 130 and then 135 and his ko rate was high. he hasnt kod anyone at 130/135. his style needs power to be effective. he is not a straight boxer in style he is a boxer puncher who needs power to be world class. i still think he could go and clean out 126 if he could make that weight. he has fast hands and throws great combinations. great footwork also
                  Yeah but Guzman blows up

I hear he walks around 170/180 lbs. It's the descipline also.

Comment

Originally posted by Dominicano Soy! View Post
                    Yeah but Guzman blows up

yeah i agree a boxer going to training camp to lose so much weight is asking for a loss in the ring its too much for the body to bear and to expect him to be at full strength is crazy

Comment

Originally posted by Dominicano Soy! View Post
                      Yeah but Guzman blows up

thats huge i didnt know he got big like that. he should never get bigger than 45 or 50 if he stays in the gym

Comment

Working...
                      X