Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: “Fighting Words” — Canelo’s Second Chance, Cotto’s Last

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: “Fighting Words” — Canelo’s Second Chance, Cotto’s Last

by David P. Greisman - The best boxer in the world today became the richest fighter ever, remaining a huge attraction in part because he never lost. Miguel Cotto and Canelo Alvarez don’t have Floyd Mayweather’s fortune, nor are they as fortunate.

They cannot make tens of millions no matter the level of opponent, like Mayweather will do in four weeks when he faces Andre Berto on pay-per-view in what purportedly will be Mayweather’s final fight. That’s not a consequence of the losses on their records, but rather a reflection of the kind of mainstream appeal Mayweather has achieved but which has eluded nearly all since the Sweet Science became a niche sport in the United States.

They are still stars. And that stature has endured despite their defeats.

Cotto came into prominence as a 140-pound titleholder, drawing crowds in Puerto Rico as well as in New Jersey and New York, states with sizable populations of people of Puerto Rican descent. He was not anywhere near as beloved as Felix Trinidad, but he was a suitable hero in the wake of Tito’s retirement.

They continued to support him even after he could take no more from Antonio Margarito, and again after Manny Pacquiao broke him down. They celebrated with heavily invested emotion when Cotto avenged his loss to Margarito. And they stuck around even when Cotto had dropped two in a row, excusably to Mayweather and then more disturbingly to Austin Trout. He resuscitated his career once more, going on to take out middleweight champion Sergio Martinez, and they rose and roared their approval. [Click Here To Read More]

this will be canelo last chance for a while when he loses to cotto because outside of cotto no1 will bring in the big bucks Floyd will probably retire so the only option is for canelo to move up and fight ggg very limited options but for cotto he rematch trout fight Floyd who a rematch with cotto would be very exciting with all the belts on the line and cotto coming off of the canelo victory he can also fight lara ggg Bradley amir khan

Comment

I can't wait...

Comment

This is actually Canelo last chance. He will soon outgrow his division and the only guy in his realm that can get him over the top is Miguel Cotto. He loses to Cotto and he can say good bye to his future as the top draw in the sport.

Comment

Both of these fighters still have a future:
          Cotto can fight a 3rd with nalgarito which would still make 1mil+ views, Tim Bradley, and even JMM.

If Canelo loses he will be the mexican version of Cotto, losing to the better fighters but still continuing being a draw in the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by spytactics View Post
            Both of these fighters still have a future:
            Cotto can fight a 3rd with nalgarito which would still make 1mil+ views, Tim Bradley, and even JMM.

If Canelo loses he will be the mexican version of Cotto, losing to the better fighters but still continuing being a draw in the sport.
            Cotto vs Margarito 1 - 450k
            Cotto vs Margarito 2 - 600k
            Cotto vs Margarito 3 - 1mil+ ? lol I doubt it.

Comment

David Greisman's contributions are always some of the best and most thoughtful on this site. Aside from his insights on boxing, I personally enjoy his great, unbiased writing, and his clever use of wordplay.

A couple nice examples from this post:

"Miguel Cotto and Canelo Alvarez don’t have Floyd Mayweather’s fortune, nor are they as fortunate"

and

"His red hair helped him stand out long before he’d shown whether he could be outstanding."

Always a pleasure to read.

Comment

A few things

-I like how a fighters current standing totally eclipses his past standing. And vice versa. Ironic how how that goes when making a case for a certain fighter or discrediting one. So Austin Trout turns out not to be as good as we all thought lol let me guess, everyonw thought he was good when he beat Cotto huh...Canelo comes along and beats him "he wasnt that good" but that was a good win, as noted by the writer. Trout had the WBA JrMW belt, undefeated and coming off a win over Cotto. That was Trouts standing going into the Canelo fight. Lets not confuse that with his current standing. Who am i kidding? Thats a good win whether you admit it or not.

-3 PPVs coming up but really only one is worth paying for, CaneloCotto. Im not arguing Mayweathers PPV status or that he shouldve faced so and so. In all honesty im glad Mayweather stiffed all those welters who dodged each othrr for the last 2yrs. BY NO MEANS will i contribute to the GGGLemieux PPV. Matter of fact i would urge ppl spend their money on the Canelo fight instead and give HBO the finger on the GGG PPV. That fight should be on regular HBO, i dont like that formula that they give predictable fights and we should fork up for a decent fight. Not happening.

Comment

Originally posted by potejam View Post
                  David Greisman's contributions are always some of the best and most thoughtful on this site. Aside from his insights on boxing, I personally enjoy his great, unbiased writing, and his clever use of wordplay.

A couple nice examples from this post:

"Miguel Cotto and Canelo Alvarez don’t have Floyd Mayweather’s fortune, nor are they as fortunate"

and

"His red hair helped him stand out long before he’d shown whether he could be outstanding."

Always a pleasure to read.
                  Good post !

I agree with you about Greisman, he is always a good read.

So is Cliff Rold.

Comment

I'm glad that someone finally addressed the issue of press releases posing as articles.

The proper thing to do with those is as Greisman suggested: label them for what they are, so unsuspecting readers don't go around thinking that a fluff piece or hype job is real reporting.

Comment

Working...
                    X