No announcement yet.

George Groves splits with Adam Booth/Hayemaker

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George Groves splits with Adam Booth/Hayemaker

George Groves is thought to have split from trainer Adam Booth ahead of his super-middleweight clash with Carl Froch.

Groves is only a few months away from his world title challenge against Froch, but it is believed that Booth will not be in his corner for the Sky Sports Box Office clash on November 23.

Booth has overseen Groves' unbeaten professional career, stretching back to 2008, and plotted impressive wins over James DeGale and Glen Johnson.

Adam Smith, Head of Sky Sports boxing, said: "The word that we are hearing is that there may have been a split between George and his long-time trainer Adam Booth, which obviously is a huge piece of news if it's true, because Adam has been very tight with both George and David Haye, who's obviously 11 days away from his fight with Tyson Fury.

"The Hayemaker camp has been pretty well-knit in the past few years. Adam Booth has been a master tactician for George Groves, in the fight where he beat James DeGale for example, and it's a real tight bond that they have down in south London.

"What we're hearing is that there is a split and Adam won't really comment on it and George didn't really want to talk about it but I believe it's true, but we'll just have to wait and see. I should think we will find out for definite in the next couple of days.

Booth has played mind games with previous opponents in the build-up to fights and Smith refused to rule out such a tactic.

But it appears that Groves must quickly add a new face to his corner ahead of his crucial fight with Froch, the WBA and IBF champion.

"It could of course be a smokescreen, there is a possibility of that. They do like their tactical games as well in that particular camp," said Smith. "Maybe they are just trying to mentally sort of unrest Carl Froch in some shape or form, but what I'm hearing is that Adam and George have split.

"Obviously George starts as the underdog against Carl Froch and many of us believe that if there is a person to provide a game plan to get the better of Carl, or certainly give George his best chance, it would be someone like Adam.

"He laid out the plan for David to defeat Nikolay Valuev, the big giant Russian. He's often gone to the drawing board and worked out ways maybe to beat a better fighter in a way. That's what happened with George and DeGale. Most people fancied DeGale and George won that night, so Adam got a lot of credit.

"George is a very good fighter in his own right. He had a stellar amateur career, he is unbeaten as a pro. He's a mature man now and if he feels like he needs to make a break.

"Adam and David have spent a lot of time together recently and maybe he needs a fresh pair of eyes, and someone different, but I've got no sense of who that may be."

http://www1.skysports.com/boxing/new...rl-froch-fight

I think this is complete bs. It's just to throw Carl Froch off his gameplan.

At least that what I will believe until I see Groves doing padwork with another trainer.

Comment

it does seem ludicrous, unless there has been some major fallout.

I read what someone on here said that it might be prioritising Haye, but that surely isn't true. He's one of two main fighters for one trainer, who is currently preparing the other for a fight in a weeks time. After that Booth's time would be purely devoted to Groves without doubt. Or at least that is how I imagine it would be!

Mind games? Another thing people have mentioned, but I would agree with what others mentioned on the matter; what difference does it make to Froch who his trainer is. Personally I think this is Groves' loss and probably Hayes' gain.

Comment

Been hearing that it was over money. Booth was Groves' manager as well as trainer. Apparently Groves wanted to be self managed, meaning Booth getting a smaller percentage.

Comment

Originally posted by TGD View Post
          Been hearing that it was over money. Booth was Groves' manager as well as trainer. Apparently Groves wanted to be self managed, meaning Booth getting a smaller percentage.
          Still doubt it's true. Look at the grin on Haye's face when asked in the end of this video:

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
            I think this is complete bs. It's just to throw Carl Froch off his gameplan.

At least that what I will believe until I see Groves doing padwork with another trainer.
            i suspect the same but who knows

Comment

Booth is definitely still Groves manager.

Confirmed on ringside.

Although, carrying on watching ringside... Froch is pissing me off again with his attitude, I think Groves has actually got to him.

Comment

Frochs attitude is like

'how dare you want to box me kid'

Lol, this fight will be fun.

Carls improved footwork with his dancing stuff

May the best guy win

Comment

Something doesn't sit with this. George was on toe2toe a few weeks ago talking up Adam's gameplan in this fight.

No Booth kills any small outside bet I might have had on a Groves decision @8/1.

Hopefully Boxing News or iFilm will get an interview with either party and squeeze some information out of them. If they keep quiet, I smell bull****.

Comment

Working...
                  X