Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grade Roy Jones' resume

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

solid resume 4 division champ 2 atgs on his resume (hopkins,tony) one of the best ive ever seen

Comment

Roy had a good resume, but I'm not sure I could go any higher than a B+. Hopkins and Toney were his best wins, really good wins. I love RJJ, he would have been great against anybody in any era, one of the best fighters we've seen. His era though, after Hopkins and Toney, not many great fighters at 168 and 175.

Comment

Originally posted by 4CornersKid View Post
        Roy had a good resume, but I'm not sure I could go any higher than a B+. Hopkins and Toney were his best wins, really good wins. I love RJJ, he would have been great against anybody in any era, one of the best fighters we've seen. His era though, after Hopkins and Toney, not many great fighters at 168 and 175.

Let me ask this question who has two better wins on there resume than dominating performances over Bernard Hopkins and James Toney.

Note:These were not hard fought battles, these were relatively very easy wins against two HOF in there prime?

Comment

I would rate it a B.

Comment

Originally posted by KiloTeague View Post
            Let me ask this question who has two better wins on there resume than dominating performances over Bernard Hopkins and James Toney.

Note:These were not hard fought battles, these were relatively very easy wins against two HOF in there prime?
            In terms of dominating, I can't think of one off the top of my head. But I can definitely think of fighters that have even more than 2 ATG great wins.

I like Roy, one of my favorite fighters. But, a resume with 2 great wins and a bunch of alright wins doesn't equal an A. Roy was one of the greatest, and HEAD-2-HEAD, I'd pick him over anyone at 168-175 in their primes. But, his era, after Hopkins and Toney, wasn't stacked with a bunch of really good fighters.

Ali beat Liston, Frazier, Foreman, on top plenty of other good/solid wins. Leonard beat Benitez, Duran, Hearns, and Hagler, 4 ATG's. To me, Ali has the best resume ever, followed closely by Robinson and Leonard.

Roy has a good resume. I'd go B+, maybe even A- if I'm on a great day.

Comment

Originally posted by 4CornersKid View Post
              In terms of dominating, I can't think of one off the top of my head. But I can definitely think of fighters that have even more than 2 ATG great wins.

I like Roy, one of my favorite fighters. But, a resume with 2 great wins and a bunch of alright wins doesn't equal an A. Roy was one of the greatest, and HEAD-2-HEAD, I'd pick him over anyone at 168-175 in their primes. But, his era, after Hopkins and Toney, wasn't stacked with a bunch of really good fighters.

Ali beat Liston, Frazier, Foreman, on top plenty of other good/solid wins. Leonard beat Benitez, Duran, Hearns, and Hagler, 4 ATG's. To me, Ali has the best resume ever, followed closely by Robinson and Leonard.

Roy has a good resume. I'd go B+, maybe even A- if I'm on a great day.
              Id have to completely agree with you. Head to head Id pick him over anyone from 160-175 though. But yes there are others with better resumes, but thats not Roys fault.

But you cant forget that he dominated a heavyweight champion that outweighed him by 40lbs. That is more amazing than beating great fighters at your own weight IMO.

Comment

Something in between C+ and B.

Comment

Grade B RJJ in his prime was unbeatable

Comment

I love watching Jones growing up ,Its fair to say him and Nigel Benn was my idols.But Some of the top posters on here consider Jones a ducker and say he was never the linear champion at 168,175 or heavyweight etc they also say his best wins was against a green hopkins and a weight drained Toney that weighed over 200 pounds 2 weeks before their fight etc

Comment

A+

Roy and Ali have the 2 best resumes of the modern era

Bernard Hopkins - Obvious ATG and Top 5 MW in history. Almost 20 years after the fact still no one has come close to beating Hopkins the way Roy did.

Eric Harding - coming off 2 very good wins against Montell Griffin and Antonio Tarver and most thought his style could give Roy a lot of trouble.... Roy Dominated him

Reggie Johnson - Gave James Toney hell and beat ATG Steve Collins. Roy Dominated him

Merqui Sosa - Sosa beat Prince Charles Williams twice, beat Glen Johnson and gave James Toney hell. Ring mag rated Sosa as the best chin in boxing... Roy stopped him in 2.

Thulani Malinga - Beat Nigel Benn, gave Eubank hell, He was considered to have an ATG chin ate Eubanks and Benns best punches, while Roy KO'd him in spectacular fashion

Julio Cesar Gonzalez - 1st guy to beat Dariusz of course Roy Dominated him

John Ruiz- Top 5 Heavyweight at the time Roy Dominated him

Jorge Vaca - beat #1 WW in the world Lloyd Honeyghan and beat Quincy Taylor twice. Roy KO'd him in the 1st round.

Jorge Castro - Roy Dominated him and few years later Castro was considered the best MW in the world.

Virgil Hill - Arguable a top 10 LHW of the last 40 years and yes while Virgil Hill was old when Roy made him sportscenter highlight. Virgil Hill proven he was still prime by going up to Cruiserweight and winning a title.

Mike McCallum - Obvious ATG but unlike Virgil Hill, McCallum was past his prime but still only a year removed from being a LHW champ. Roy dominated him like no else ever had.

Thomas Tate - C level fighter winning is nothing special but what is impressive is Roy KO'd him in 2 rounds. Tate's only KO loss in 50 fights including a fight against Julian Jackson who couldn't KO Tate.

James Toney - Another obvious ATG in his absolute prime. Roy moved up in weight and totally dominated.

Montell Griffin - 1st round KO over the guy who some fools actually thought gave Roy trouble in their 1st fight.
                      Last edited by SCtrojansbaby; 01-02-2012, 04:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X