Collapse
No announcement yet.

Manga Readers/Fans

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stumbled upon another boxing manga called RRR. It's about a guy who half assed his way through life and then major life events happen, and he ends up on a boxing reality show. It's a really good read so far and the main character Iwamaki Rikitaro is pretty funny. He is on the show to eventually take the Japan Pro Test for boxing and will embark on a boxing career.

Here's the synopsis:

Rikitaro is a musician whose dream is to become a rock star just like Jimi Hendrix or Jim Morrison, but at the age of 27 that dream is fading away rapidly. Ooishi is a 3 time world boxing champion who recently retired and is now in the entertainment world, shooting a boxing reality show. These two unlikeliest of people cross paths one day but both of them think nothing of it until weeks later. Rikitaro is given one last shot by a record label to sign a deal but before that, they need him to get into better shape so that he is easier to sell. He stumbles upon a boxing gym which also happens to be the same gym Ooishi is filming his show. As fate’s wheels start to turn, neither man realizes that they will work together to train the best boxer ever, even better than Ooishi himself.
    Last edited by North Star; 07-28-2016, 06:39 AM.

Comment

• Finished up RRR guys, and it was an excellent read. It was over much too quickly though! Only 106 chapters and the story could have continued to follow Rikitarou's career. I would say that this manga is just about on par with Rikudou, the other recent boxing manga. However, RRR is a bit more light hearted, even though there is some drama. Rikudou on the other hand is a bit dark and more serious. It's also still early in it's serialization, so it should be a while before that one ends.

In the end, RRR is a must read for boxing fans, or even sports manga fans. I was hoping the mangaka Watanabe Jun would have done a follow up or sequel, maybe following your Aozora. Anyway, on to the next manga!

Comment

• Originally posted by North Star View Post
        Finished up RRR guys, and it was an excellent read. It was over much too quickly though! Only 106 chapters and the story could have continued to follow Rikitarou's career. I would say that this manga is just about on par with Rikudou, the other recent boxing manga. However, RRR is a bit more light hearted, even though there is some drama. Rikudou on the other hand is a bit dark and more serious. It's also still early in it's serialization, so it should be a while before that one ends.

In the end, RRR is a must read for boxing fans, or even sports manga fans. I was hoping the mangaka Watanabe Jun would have done a follow up or sequel, maybe following your Aozora. Anyway, on to the next manga!

You read it all in one day?

Nevermind dumb question.
        Last edited by Adonis Creed; 07-29-2016, 09:21 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adonis Creed View Post
          You read it all in one day?

Nevermind dumb question.
          I had gotten through almost half of it when I first posted. Then I finished it up this morning. It was a page turner and before I knew it, it was over.

Comment

• So guys, I have been reading an old throwback manga from the 80's, Rokudenashi Blues. It's pretty damn funny and typical of the era in which it was drawn. It's funny that it has lots of boxing references with the main character being Maeda Taison (Tyson) and various other shout outs to the world of boxing. The principal of the school is even made in Don King's image. Overall though, it has little to do with the actual sport of boxing, and more to do with high school life and street fights. It's not serious at all and pretty light hearted.

Comment

• So guys, it's been a while.

I have been reading through the Baki series, Grappler Baki, New Grappler Baki, Baki - Son of Ogre, and now Baki dou.

All series have been great. It really is a fun manga for martial arts fans. There are some really great characters, especially Hanma Yujiro, Baki's dad. He's a pretty mean bastard, but is cool as hell. He's practically mythological with his strength and makes for a legendary manga character.

The first and second series were good, but unfortunately the last half of the second series hasn't been scanned and uploaded yet, so I completely missed the Maximum Tournament that occurred. You find out some small details about it in the follow up, Baki - Son of Ogre, which was also very good and brought what I assume was initially believe to the final conclusion of the series. Then Baki dou kept the series alive and running again.

The premise of Baki dou takes some sci fi spin with the "resurrection" if you will, of the legendary Miyamoto Musashi. I was a bit worried this wouldn't turn out well, but to my surprise it has actually been pretty excellent. I am almost completely caught up in that on going series, so I will have to find something new soon. Heck, I went through almost 800+ chapters of the Baki series, so I might as well dive in to Hajime no Ippo and it's 1000+ chapters.

Comment

• where do you get access to all of your magna?

Comment

• Originally posted by New England View Post
                  where do you get access to all of your magna?
                  On tablet, I use the MangaZone app. When on a computer, I use mangareader.net or mangago. Both sites have an enormous amount available for reading.

Comment

• Well, I have been reading Hajime no Ippo over the past few days and it's pretty great. It's very funny and the boxing matches are exciting. Takamura is one hell of a funny character! I love that guy.

Comment

• Alright guys, I just got through Aoki's title match story arc, and it was probably the funniest story arc I have read in all of manga! Aoki is absolutely hilarious! Just thinking about the match and I still can't help but laugh to myself.

Comment

Working...
                      X