No announcement yet.

Some fans don't understand weight classes

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some fans don't understand weight classes

I still don't understand how some fans don't understand how tricky moving up in weight can be.

They seems to forget how much fighters rehydrate overnight.

For example donaire sometimes enters the ring at 147. Canelo has been known to enter at 175ish. This isn't news to anyone who follow boxing closely.

So why the hell do people keep insisting that fighters move up a division? Do they not understand how big a disadvantage this would be? Sure pacquiao moved up a lot but he did so through catchweights. I see guys saying mayweather should fight Hopkins or ggg.

They presume that most fighters move up weight classes by bulking up. While this does happen (roy jones, David haye, Nathan cleverly) the majority of boxers move up after their mid to late 20s because the body naturally fills out. Guy like tommy hearns moved up as much as he did because he had to, he wasn't 'to going to make welter weight at 6'1 forever.

That's why guys saying mikey garcia could destroy welterweights or pacquiao fighting canelo need to calm down. They don't understand the weight differences they would be giving up.

Sometimes the biggest battle for boxers is weight cutting to squeeze into their divisions. Fans, not just casuals but so called "hardcore" fans seem to ignore how much weight plays a part in boxing. Not everyone has the frame for carrying extra weight.

TLR-people need to stop demanding that fighters move up in weight when they don't have the frame for it.

Originally posted by Wuckoo View Post
    I still don't understand how some fans don't understand how tricky moving up in weight can be.

For example donaire sometimes enters the ring at 147. Canelo has been known to enter at 175ish. This isn't news to anyone who follow boxing closely.

So why the hell do people keep insisting that fighters move up a division? Do they not understand how big a disadvantage this would be? Sure pacquiao moved up a lot but he did so through catchweights. I see guys saying mayweather should fight Hopkins or ggg.

They presume that most fighters move up weight classes by bulking up. While this does happen (roy jones, David haye, Nathan cleverly) the majority of boxers move up after their mid to late 20s because the body naturally fills out. Guy like tommy hearns moved up as much as he did because he had to, he wasn't 'to going to make welter weight at 6'1 forever.

That's why guys saying mikey garcia could destroy welterweights or pacquiao fighting canelo need to calm down. They don't understand the weight differences they would be giving up.

Sometimes the biggest battle for boxers is weight cutting to squeeze into their divisions. Fans, not just casuals but so called "hardcore" fans seem to ignore how much weight plays a part in boxing. Not everyone has the frame for carrying extra weight.

TLR-people need to stop demanding that fighters move up in weight when they don't have the frame for it.
    When did Donaire weighted at 147 during fight night? Give us just one or you are just talking out of your a$$. Some butt hurt Rigo fans say that he weighted at 142 against Rigo but they can't show any evidence. At 118 to 126, he was outweighted by most opponents. I think he out weighted only Darch at 126 and Rigo at 122

Comment

Originally posted by shadow-boxer View Post
      When did Donaire weighted at 147 during fight night? Give us just one or you are just talking out of your a$$. Some butt hurt Rigo fans say that he weighted at 142 against Rigo but they can't show any evidence. At 118 to 126, he was outweighted by most opponents. I think he out weighted only Darch at 126 and Rigo at 122
      Jesus. Sounds like a butthurt donaire fan can't let go of a loss. It's well known donaire has always rehydrated during his fights. If you look at the different between him when he weighs in to when he fights and still think he weighs the same then you are the one talking out if your ass. Donaire had to move up because, like most humans, he gained weight as he got older. Majority of boxers rehydrate so if donaire weighed more or was outweighed it wouldn't have mattered much. Darch would have rehydrated too, same as arce and recently vekteya. I will admit I'm a rigo fan but I never cared about the weight. They both weighed in at the limit so I'm cool with that. But you kind of missed the overall point of the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by shadow-boxer View Post
        Why would Rigo fans be butt hurt after schooling Nonita and chasing Nonita out of the division

Comment

For example donaire sometimes enters the ring at 147.
          lolwhat

Comment

Originally posted by DoktorSleepless View Post
            lolwhat
            Donaire has occasionally struggled to make weight. That's why he has moved up a few classes since his debut. I like how people go mad over me mentioning donaire but don't bat an eye when guys like Bradley, canelo or maidana rehydrate just as much.

It's perfectly possible for fighters to rehydrate by 20 or more pounds. Let's not act like it doesn't happen even in the lower divisions. It's been a couple of years since the fights you mentioned there, he's moved up to featherweight which is a big jump believe it or not when it comes to weight cutting. But I'm not criticising donaire I'm saying, like the MAJORITY of fighters, he rehydrates by a lot.
            Last edited by Wuckoo; 08-10-2014, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Donaire has occasionally struggled to make weight. That's why he has moved up a few classes since his debut. I like how people go mad over me mentioning donaire but don't bat an eye when guys like Bradley, canelo or maidana rehydrate just as much.

It's perfectly possible for fighters to rehydrate by 20 or more pounds. Let's not act like it doesn't happen even in the lower divisions.
              No one's saying that it doesn't happen. They're saying that Donaire doesn't weigh 147 on fight night. And they're presenting evidence to back it up.

Saying "nuh uh" doesn't make you right.

Comment

Originally posted by johnm is... View Post
                No one's saying that it doesn't happen. They're saying that Donaire doesn't weigh 147 on fight night. And they're presenting evidence to back it up.

Saying "nuh uh" doesn't make you right.
                Okay let me put it this way. He weighs in at 118, arrived in mid to late 130s. That's around 20 pounds. At featherweight he would weigh around 20 pounds heavier in the ring. He himself has said since having a kid he has gained a little weight. Maybe it's not 147. Maybe it's 143 or 145 but he still goes a good few pounds. I'm not sure why people are making this all about donaire when I'm mentioning how people don't understand what it takes to move up a class.

Comment

Some fighters certainly need to move up though e.g. Canelo. I love Canelo but creating his own weight division of 155 is a farce.

And others have pretty much cleaned out a division and the next up isn't a stretch for their body like Danny Garcia. Agreed on the fight with Manny and Canelo though, that is pretty ridiculous, think he weighed around 150 on fight night with Bradley.

Comment

Originally posted by CLUNG3-TANK View Post
                    Some fighters certainly need to move up though e.g. Canelo. I love Canelo but creating his own weight division of 155 is a farce.

And others have pretty much cleaned out a division and the next up isn't a stretch for their body like Danny Garcia. Agreed on the fight with Manny and Canelo though, that is pretty ridiculous, think he weighed around 150 on fight night with Bradley.
                    Exactly. That's what I was getting at. I'm glad someone else thinks Caneli should move up to middleweight. But I think garcia gets wrecked by most welters. I've heard that manny is struggling to get up to 147 nowadays and may go to 140.

Comment

Working...
                    X