Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would the fighters from back then have managed with the gloves of today?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would the fighters from back then have managed with the gloves of today?

Do you think the gloves would make a difference?

Would marciano and ali have had that power with 12oz grant gloves?

Would there have been less brawling and more boxing back then?

I wanna know what you guys think about this

personally i would be more curious to see if some of these dudes' most competitive fights have turned out differently had they been scored with the 10pt must system and with the standing 8 count in effect.

Comment

Hard to say. The bigger gloves have more padding so I'm sure it takes away some of the power, but you hear about big punchers knocking out sparring partenrs with 16 oz gloves and head gear on all the time. I have never boxed though so I can't really answer.

Comment

since fights were longer then, youd see even more long term head injuries than you did then, getting knocked out quicker is alot better than getting pounded on for 15 plus rounds.

Comment

Youd have a lot more fighters with brain damage, more deaths, and early retirements.

Comment

Don't think it would have made a huge difference power wise. Punchers are punchers, you can tell by the impact of Marciano's punches they were devastating.

And we still see plenty of successful brawling fighters today, I wouldn't say there are propotionately less brawlers than there used to be. Alot of the mexican style fighters fight that way and have great success.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetpea87 View Post
              Hard to say. The bigger gloves have more padding so I'm sure it takes away some of the power, but you hear about big punchers knocking out sparring partenrs with 16 oz gloves and head gear on all the time. I have never boxed though so I can't really answer.
              Ehhh thats actually really rare (knocking sparing partners out with 16oz gloves)...I know pacman has but other then that not many mantain that kind of power

Comment

I think i should have phrased this title "How would the fighters of today managed with the gloves used back then" that would be more interesting lol

Comment

Working...
                X