Collapse
No announcement yet.

According to Kevin Iole, this Saturday will be Larry Merchant's last cast

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's probably cause he didn't join in on teh Berto circle jerk.

Comment

Honestly he is just too old for this stuff. Bring in some young people or some ex boxers to help with the broadcast (ones that are good anyway)

Comment

Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post

Larry was/is fine, a touch slow asking questions maybe but it builds the suspense. Good luck to him if it is the end.
        He wasn't fine. He has become so cynical and jaded that most of the things he said were negative. Not to mention he seemed like he was drunk during some of the telecasts.

Comment

That's a shame, now we have to listen to Max Kellerman

Comment

Who will replace him? Plz not Kellerman!

Comment

I say why not replace the senile old man with another senile (at least soon to be) old man.

Of course, I'm just kidding. I can't stand Teddy Atlas.

Comment

the people cheering about this don't realize what a legend Larry is. he's been a sports writer around the game of boxing for longer than most of your father's have been alive. and he did it well!

this is a sad day.

Comment

He is great the only negative he has is that he takes forever to come out with a sentence..on tv in the setting he is involved in its a huge negative to have so I understand. He has been doing this well before I was born, hell I watch old fights and see his name there even well before I was born. *****s may not like what happened between him and Floyd but honestly he used to be fair to Floyd and A LOT of the Boxing world were pissed off with Floyd after that Ortiz debacle...also Floyd never gave clear answers he would always try to duck and dodge the question like a politician. I was watching Mayweather vs Judah the other day and Lampley was not being too fair on Floyd on one occasion and Merchant corrected him and stated what happened which in effect supported Mayweather.

He is past prime for sure, has been since the 90's, but he has gotten worse as the years have gone on..he is still great don't get me wrong and we will miss his personality and voice on the HBO team.

Steward and Merchant have gone, big loss to HBO but Kellerman is a solid guy to takeover imo. I think we need Roy to get involved a bit more and maybe Paulie. I like Paulie tbh, he is very knowledgeable and rarely biased. Although some people don't like him because of his talking too fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Slyboots View Post
                    He wasn't fine. He has become so cynical and jaded that most of the things he said were negative. Not to mention he seemed like he was drunk during some of the telecasts.
                    Well you know Lampley is very positive (often unduely so) so it balances out.

I always saw Larry as a realist who didn't buy hype or nuthug on the fighters, I hope we don't get another crawler in his place.

Comment

What about Brian Sutherland as a replacement?

Comment

Working...
                      X