No announcement yet.

Dempsey Vs Greb

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dempsey Vs Greb

Who do you think wins and why? I read a while back in boxing news that Greb beat the common opponents better and more convincingly than Dempsey. Also apparently in sparring Greb gave Dempsey fits. Would Dempsey's size make a difference? Or would the smaller, quicker Greb be too much for the 'Manassa Mauler'. Two great warriors, let me know what you guys think.
    Jack Dempsey
    57.14%
    Harry Greb
    42.86%

i think greb takes it, but it depends on what year, the last few years of grebs career he was apparently fighting with one eye(which is when he alot of his losses) so who knows how much better he would have been with 2 eyes and no untimely death...

Comment

Originally posted by BamBamLeutyooo View Post
      Who do you think wins and why? I read a while back in boxing news that Greb beat the common opponents better and more convincingly than Dempsey. Also apparently in sparring Greb gave Dempsey fits. Would Dempsey's size make a difference? Or would the smaller, quicker Greb be too much for the 'Manassa Mauler'. Two great warriors, let me know what you guys think.

A better question would be why did Dempsey never fight Greb?

But to answer this, it can go two ways. 1, with Greb outspeeding him as he did when they sparred and cruising to a UD. Or 2, winning comfortably until Dempsey finally catches up and puts him to sleep.

I wouldn't discount either scenario but it should be noted that Willie Meehan, Billy Miske and Tommy Gibbons (amongst others) managed to go the distance with Dempsey, and none were nearly as great as Greb.

Comment

Originally posted by raf727 View Post
        i think greb takes it, but it depends on what year, the last few years of grebs career he was apparently fighting with one eye(which is when he alot of his losses) so who knows how much better he would have been with 2 eyes and no untimely death...
        Greb had been fighting blind in 1 eye shortly after his fight with Kid Norfolk in 1921. He still managed an AMAZING resume and record after that point only losing to the very best.

Comment

I personally think the reason why they didn't fight was because Jack didn't want to. It would have been an amazing fight.

Comment

I personally think the reason why they didn't fight was because Jack didn't want to. It would have been an amazing fight.
            I don't think there is any question he didn't want to, instead settling for Grebs leftovers while all the while being called out. This is a massive duck which is conveniently over looked by Dempsey idolaters. Jack was a great fighter, but there are many flaws in his career some are willing to look past in order to keep the image they have of him intact.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
              I don't think there is any question he didn't want to, instead settling for Grebs leftovers while all the while being called out. This is a massive duck which is conveniently over looked by Dempsey idolaters. Jack was a great fighter, but there are many flaws in his career some are willing to look past in order to keep the image they have of him intact.
              Agree completely. Dempsey wouldn't be able to bully Greb at all. I think it would pan out like this. Both start very fast trading blows. Dempsey landing some hard shots but Greb still there in the trenches fighting fire with fire. Grebs shots at first don't seem to be hurting Jack. By the later rounds Dempsey is tiring and trying to hold on to Greb. Greb is still being the windmill he is, is not tired and still throwing from all angles. I actually see Greb stopping Dempsey really late on because I don't think Jack will have the stamina to hang with Greb late on.

Comment

Agree completely. Dempsey wouldn't be able to bully Greb at all. I think it would pan out like this. Both start very fast trading blows. Dempsey landing some hard shots but Greb still there in the trenches fighting fire with fire. Grebs shots at first don't seem to be hurting Jack. By the later rounds Dempsey is tiring and trying to hold on to Greb. Greb is still being the windmill he is, is not tired and still throwing from all angles. I actually see Greb stopping Dempsey really late on because I don't think Jack will have the stamina to hang with Greb late on.
                Greb wouldn't stop Dempsey, the guy was as tough as nails. For all the faults that many choose to remain blind to, Dempsey was a great fighter and as game as they come. If the much bigger Tunney (compared to Greb) couldn't stop him after the beating he gave him and after 3 years off, Greb isn't stopping him either.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                  Greb wouldn't stop Dempsey, the guy was as tough as nails. For all the faults that many choose to remain blind to, Dempsey was a great fighter and as game as they come. If the much bigger Tunney (compared to Greb) couldn't stop him after the beating he gave him and after 3 years off, Greb isn't stopping him either.
                  I don't see Greb hurting him. I mean I could actually see Dempsey doing a No Mas. He is one of my favourite fighters but Greb would be too much for him.

Comment

I don't see Greb hurting him. I mean I could actually see Dempsey doing a No Mas. He is one of my favourite fighters but Greb would be too much for him.
                    We'll have to disagree on that one my man.

How about starting a thread for the billion points contest? You look like (your account) you could use a billion points!

Comment

Working...
                    X