No announcement yet.

Better Resume: Ray Leonard Vs. Pernell Whitaker

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better Resume: Ray Leonard Vs. Pernell Whitaker

This is inspired by some silliness over in NSB the past couple of days. So, instead of featuring the active fighters how about a discussion of the two historical fighters those active fighters were being compared to? Discuss!

Poet
    Ray Leonard
    82.93%
    Pernell Whitaker
    17.07%

Ray Leonard....

Benitez, Duran, Hagler, Hearns etc.

Don't think it's much more complex than that.

Comment

Link to the NSB thread please. I'm in need of a good guffaw.

And I voted for Leonard.

Comment

Definitely Leonard IMO.

Comment

Leonard, by a long shot.

Comment

ray leonard

short but incredible resume if you're looking at the heart of it. in his prime he beat duran, hearns, and benitez. not just great fighters but bonafide ATG's. all three went on to do great things after they fought leonard. benitez and hearns were undefeated when leonard fought them.

very few fighters can boast wins like those.

in his prime he only lost to roberto duran.

well beyond his prime he went on to fight close with hagler and get a dub. hagler was likewise not what he once was, of course.

i tend to lend toward a hagler win, but i was born and still live and work within 30-40 miles from where hagler used to live and work, so i'm biased.
            i may drive by brockton this afternoon on business, and i'll have to hold my nose!

Comment

Floyd Mayweather. More champions, Duran is Baldomir.

Very few fighters go above Leonard when it comes to resume, and Whitaker isn't one of them.

Comment

AFAIC

1) Leonard has only a few good wins. They are great, but they are very few.

2) Whitaker beat everyone fair and square, and -IMO- was never on the receiving end of a gift, quite the opposite.

3) There are some asterisks next to some of SRL's best wins.

Hence to me Whitaker has the best resume. Boom!

Comment

Originally posted by wmute View Post
                  AFAIC

1) Leonard has only a few good wins. They are great, but they are very few.

2) Whitaker beat everyone fair and square, and -IMO- was never on the receiving end of a gift, quite the opposite.

3) There are some asterisks next to some of SRL's best wins.

Hence to me Whitaker has the best resume. Boom!

I think Wilfredo Rivera beat Whitaker in their first fight. Not a "robbery", but I think he edged it. Doesn't really matter as Pea showed who was boss in the rematch.

Comment

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
                    I think Wilfredo Rivera beat Whitaker in their first fight. Not a "robbery", but I think he edged it. Doesn't really matter as Pea showed who was boss in the rematch.
                    It was close, I am pretty sure I had Pea winning but I can see your point.

I think that Hagler-SRL and SRL-Hearns 2 were much more controversial.

Comment

Working...
                    X