Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you imagine what people would say about Pernell Whitaker if he fought today?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Since 1985 View Post
    You can be a good boxer and not have great defense. JMM's timing is impeccable and he's a very accurate counter puncher. He doesn't go into fights looking to brawl and go blow for blow. Furthermore, Marquez is very intelligent and able to make adjustments on the fly. Does he get hit a lot? Yes he does, but he's still a very good boxer, wouldn't you agree?
    Yes I believe JMM is one if the best boxers. But that's not the point you nor I are making

According to your OP, boxing is "hit and not get hit". So how can JMM be a good boxer if he gets hit soo much?

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
      Doesn't mean people's thoughts about him would have changed. Point is majority of people found him boring, just like Ivan Calderon.

And people don't appreciate boxing because they don't like his style? pa-lease! Boxing is a sport Of endless styles! His style does not represent boxing
      Ooooooooooooh, noooooooooooooooo...

*Stamps with the dumbass stamp several times*

How dare you, sir?

Pernell wasn't beaten convincingly until he was past his prime...

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
        Yes I believe JMM is one if the best boxers. But that's not the point you nor I are making

According to your OP, boxing is "hit and not get hit". So how can JMM be a good boxer if he gets hit soo much?
        I would call JMM defense average, it's not like he's a punching bag.

Comment

Hit and not get hit...well Pacquiao is a little faster then Marquez so its hard to do that effectively against a faster opponent. At the same time, Marquez is a good boxer because if he wasnt, he woulda taking a much more severe beaten from Pacquiao. Also, compare Pacquiao's connect percentage against Marquez to his other opponents. And see how many punches Marquez landed, compare that number to other Pacquiao opponents.

Pacquiao is clearly more athletically gifted. However, marquez is more skilled

Comment

Originally posted by Floyd Sinclair View Post
            Hit and not get hit...well Pacquiao is a little faster then Marquez so its hard to do that effectively against a faster opponent. At the same time, Marquez is a good boxer because if he wasnt, he woulda taking a much more severe beaten from Pacquiao. Also, compare Pacquiao's connect percentage against Marquez to his other opponents. And see how many punches Marquez landed, compare that number to other Pacquiao opponents.

Pacquiao is clearly more athletically gifted. However, marquez is more skilled
            I couldn't have said it better myself bro.

Comment

TS, although i've never heard of him, has forever validated himself with this one thread. that's almost unheard of.

Comment

They would say that Pernell is an American Hypejob who just jogs around the ring and is a coward.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
                  But a lot of people think Floyd and Sweet Pea fought similarly. Outside of both being supreme defensive fighters, they don't fight similarly at all to me.

Personally I think Whitaker is five times more exciting than Floyd.
                  This.

Sweet Pea was one of my favorite fighters growing up. Floyd and Pernell both had great defense, but P's defense was more exciting for me and he brought the action more.

Pernell Whitaker was boxing's Neo before The Matrix.

Comment

Originally posted by TintaBoricua View Post
                    Ooooooooooooh, noooooooooooooooo...

*Stamps with the dumbass stamp several times*

How dare you, sir?

Pernell wasn't beaten convincingly until he was past his prime...
                    He was only beaten convincingly once and that was to Felix Trinidad.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxingtech718v2 View Post
                      They would say that Pernell is an American Hypejob who just jogs around the ring and is a coward.
                      Lol this is true and sad.

Comment

Working...
                      X