No announcement yet.

If Uncle Roger goes to jail, Floyd Mayweather Jr. won't crack

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Uncle Roger goes to jail, Floyd Mayweather Jr. won't crack

We all know where Coach Freddie Roach is going to be when Manny Pacquiao begins training. But what about Floyd Mayweather’s chief trainer, troubled Roger “Black Mamba” Mayweather?

I have zero insight into the status of Roger Dodger’s pending criminal assault case in Las Vegas but it certainly throws a cloud over his status whether Pacman and Money May fight on March 13 or May 1.

If Roger gets any sort of all expenses paid stay —maybe not three hots but definitely one cot—stay in the Clark County Jail facility, then we might truly see the personification of the old “the fighter trains himself” cliché.

Given Floyd Senior’s shaky but improving health condition (sarcoidois, a debilitating lung ailment) and their past relationship issues, the Marley Crystal Ball, on loan from Madam Auring of Metro Manila, does not see “Pretty Daddy” returning to the helm.

And I doubt Mayweather will seek the services of a high priced trainer who might also cast a shadow on the fighter’s big as the state of Nevada ego.

Translation: Emmanuel Steward won’t be getting the call or the nod.

(Something tells me Cactus Jack Mosley is also ready, willing and available but I’m not going there today because I don’t have my Freudian hat on.)

My early guess, and that is what it is, would see Mayweather making handwrapper supremo Rafael Garcia (the Mexican octogenarian with all those pins in his cap) the top trainer and maybe elevating former star amateur heavyweight Nate Jones to the backup position.

Come to think of it, Mayweather pretty much does train himself anyway. Neither his gym nor his personal relationship with Unca Rajah approaches in any way the symbiotic, cohesive and paternal vibe and relationship of Coach Roach and Megamanny.

In the runup to his demolition of Miguel Cotto, Pacman said, half jokingly, his tutor should be referred to as “Master Roach” rather than simply “Coach.”

If Roger Mayweather winds up riding the Clark County bus from court to hoosegow, I don’t see any disastrous effect on an accomplished, virtuoso performer such as Floyd Junior.

The case against Roger stems from a brawl involving female boxer Melissa St. Vil in an apartment owned by the former world champion.

She alleged that Mayweather was beating her when she smacked him with a lamp.

Ironically, St. Vil's chosen ring nickname is "Guard Your Grill."
Working...
X