No announcement yet.

New weight cutting rules

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New weight cutting rules

In August the Arkansas State Athletic Commission instituted new temporary rules for amateur boxing & mma participants where you do the traditional 24 hour weigh-in, but then have to do a second weigh-in the day of the event where you're not allowed to gain 7.5% and not allowed to weigh-in past the next weight class. If they exceed those criteria or show signs on dehydration, the fight is called off.

Starting in January, California will require all amateur mma & boxing participants to test for their 'minimum healthy weight' each year and not allow them to participate below that (currently being done in NCAAA wrestling).

In both cases, they'll then evaluate the results and look to implement for professionals. It'll probably take a couple years before we see it reach the pro's, but this could spur Nevada to finally jump into action and make things happen even sooner.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/8/31...h-historic-new

i think the ibf already enforce this rule, right? it's only a matter of time until it is universal

Comment

sounds good

i'm sick of guys like broner, rios etc fighting midgets just because they have elite dehydration skills

Comment

Originally posted by NEETzsche View Post
        i think the ibf already enforce this rule, right? it's only a matter of time until it is universal
        The IBF has a 10lbs rehydration clause, but it was always being circumvented. You can see multiple IBF champions defending the title well above 10lbs over their weigh-in. Bute was 182 vs Miranda (14+), when Devon Alexander fought Bradley he weighed 152lbs (12+), Kovalev weighed 188lbs (13+) vs Hopkins, Gradovich weighed 140 vs Velez (13+). Back in 2011, I think the IBF tried to enforce it against Khan vs Judah, but Khan still came in 11+.

Comment

That is just a bunch of BS. The day before the fight weigh in was one of the worst changes ever made in boxing. If they want to improve things then return to weighing in 6 to 8 hours before the fight. Weighing in 6 to 8 hours before the fight was a good system. It wasn't broke and didn't need to be fixed. They never had the problems that they are having now with middleweights coming into the ring weighing 180 pounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Eastcoast View Post
            Starting in January, California will require all amateur mma & boxing participants to test for their 'minimum healthy weight' each year and not allow them to participate below that (currently being done in NCAAA wrestling).
            I love this idea & glad to see it gaining traction. I really love the above quoted paragraph & I think that will become a standard thing eventually in pro boxing. Its needed & will be better for the sport & its participants when it is standard.

I think there should be a max allowed weight as well. I find it embarrassing to see some of the HW's who are able to get professional boxing licenses & look like their favorite exercise is donut lifts. Out of shape pros are mostly at HW, but I think having a pro license to fight from x lbs to y lbs & to box below x or above y would require a new license should be the real standard for everyone who boxes pro.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
              That is just a bunch of BS. The day before the fight weigh in was one of the worst changes ever made in boxing. If they want to improve things then return to weighing in 6 to 8 hours before the fight. Weighing in 6 to 8 hours before the fight was a good system. It wasn't broke and didn't need to be fixed. They never had the problems that they are having now with middleweights coming into the ring weighing 180 pounds.
              I think they dont want that some fighters get badly hurt in fights because of Dehydration. And when money is involved, people do crazy things.

Comment

so chavez jr has to fight at heavyweight now right?

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
                  lol, absence makes the heart grow fonder, i guess.

Same-day weights haven't been utilized in pro boxing for over 35 years. That's nearly two generations of time, for dietitians/strength coaches to figure out more effective ways to get fighters to drop weight off of their bodies.

Comment

The problem is dehydration is almost impossible to measure, you don't show physical signs until your really bad.

Boxers are always going to push the limits and put winning above their safety so a rule like this just means guys will come in dehydrated.

Comment

Working...
                    X