No announcement yet.

What increases metabolic rate?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What increases metabolic rate?

I heard that building muscle increases base metabolic rate.

I then heard that the above was true but it made no real significant difference, apparently what really increases metabolism alot is HIT exercise like squats or sprinting. Is this true?

Why are some people born with a high or slow metabolism? How come some people can eat ANYTHING and not get fat? (used to be me)

Also when those calculators calculate how many calories you need per day to add or loose bodyfat how do they stay accurate when some people have a faster metabolism than others? They ask age, height, bf %, etc but they dont ask anything about how fast your metabolism is, so how can they be accurate at all?

Originally posted by AlexKid View Post
    I heard that building muscle increases base metabolic rate.

I then heard that the above was true but it made no real significant difference, apparently what really increases metabolism alot is HIT exercise like squats or sprinting. Is this true?

Why are some people born with a high or slow metabolism? How come some people can eat ANYTHING and not get fat? (used to be me)

Also when those calculators calculate how many calories you need per day to add or loose bodyfat how do they stay accurate when some people have a faster metabolism than others? They ask age, height, bf %, etc but they dont ask anything about how fast your metabolism is, so how can they be accurate at all?
    Regular rigorous exercise contributes to a higher rate of metabolism, as it places greater demands on the body to maintain homeostasis. The type of metabolism a person is born with is just that, heredity.

As for the caloric calculator, the figures are based on an average. Since everyone's different but basically similar, an average is the only way to come up with a standard figure.

Comment

1)I heard that building muscle increases base metabolic rate.

2 ) I then heard that the above was true but it made no real significant difference, apparently what really increases metabolism alot is HIT exercise like squats or sprinting. Is this true?

3) Why are some people born with a high or slow metabolism? How come some people can eat ANYTHING and not get fat? (used to be me)

4) Also when those calculators calculate how many calories you need per day to add or loose bodyfat how do they stay accurate when some people have a faster metabolism than others? They ask age, height, bf %, etc but they dont ask anything about how fast your metabolism is, so how can they be accurate at all?
      1) yes, that's true. More muscle requires more energy to sustain. Your BMR - basic metabolic rate - goes up. This means that you burn more energy when you are doing nothing.

2)No, HIIT gives a good after burn as well, but that does not by itself mean that extra muscle does not. Both are true. If it wasn't true then your maintenance level of calories would remain the same even though you added muscle.

3) Genetics. Also it should be considered that in most cases it just isn't true. People often over- or underestimate the amount they are eating. But other than that it's just genetics. There is no particular reason for it. Why is 1 person blonde and the other brunette?

4) They take averages and they give indications. It is just a standard formula so you have a point of reference. From there you can decide to add or lose calories. But indeed, they give indications. They do not perform scientific research on you.

Comment

Originally posted by Facade View Post
        1) yes, that's true. More muscle requires more energy to sustain. Your BMR - basic metabolic rate - goes up. This means that you burn more energy when you are doing nothing.

2)No, HIIT gives a good after burn as well, but that does not by itself mean that extra muscle does not. Both are true. If it wasn't true then your maintenance level of calories would remain the same even though you added muscle.

3) Genetics. Also it should be considered that in most cases it just isn't true. People often over- or underestimate the amount they are eating. But other than that it's just genetics. There is no particular reason for it. Why is 1 person blonde and the other brunette?

4) They take averages and they give indications. It is just a standard formula so you have a point of reference. From there you can decide to add or lose calories. But indeed, they give indications. They do not perform scientific research on you.

excellent thankyou, how much more does HIT increase your metabolism than gaining extra muscle?

Im presuming it ups the metabolism more at least short term, from what ive read alot more.

But how much more significant is the in crease in metabolism from HIT than from gaining extra muscle?

Comment

Originally posted by SUBZER0ED View Post
          Regular rigorous exercise contributes to a higher rate of metabolism, as it places greater demands on the body to maintain homeostasis. The type of metabolism a person is born with is just that, heredity.

As for the caloric calculator, the figures are based on an average. Since everyone's different but basically similar, an average is the only way to come up with a standard figure.
          ty bro!

Comment

excellent thankyou, how much more does HIT increase your metabolism than gaining extra muscle?

Im presuming it ups the metabolism more at least short term, from what ive read alot more.

But how much more significant is the in crease in metabolism from HIT than from gaining extra muscle?
            I didn't mean to imply that HIIT increases the metabolic rate more than increased muscle mass. I don't have any exact numbers on the exact amount in which both contribute to the metabolic rate. To be honest I don't really think there are any specific numbers, because there is still a lot of debate about all this. If there are numbers they should be taken with a grain of salt. Ultimately not everyone reacts the same to the same stimuli. I guess that is why there are so many different opinions concerning muscle building and fat loss. Also there is hardly any consensus on what the best form of cardio is.

Comment

being in temperaturs under 66 degrees increases metabolic rate. according to http://www.nowloss.com/how-to-lose-weight.htm once you are in a colder place your body will burn fat for heat to keep you at your normal body temp of 98.6

Comment

Working...
              X