Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

name some 'boogeymen' that boxing fans have hyped to the masses only to get exposed

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SlyDominican View Post
    reading that andre ward article about GGG calling him out,he said that the fickle fans always make a 'boogeyman' out of certain fighters even tho they are all hype and not very good,i agree with him.

who are some of these boogeymen that have been exposed in this era??

i'll start with Lucas Mattehysse who was hype to obvlivion with his first round KO of dallas jr where he might have took banned substances like Virgil said,, after he beat peterson and knocked him down like a ragdoll with seemingly weaker punches and again there was no drug testing in that fight. Only to finally discuss a fight with Garcia who wanted random testing which lucas almost refused and he was knocked down and outclassed

who else?
    Where did Ward say GGG was all hype and not very good? - I musta missed part.

Ward says GGGs good and he respects him as a fighter. Says he ain't ducking him, ain't afraid - that's not how it works. Says you can never tell how good someone is till they fight the best. Where's the bit you said?

In fact he doesn't say anything 'bout 'fickle fans' either - he says 'you guys' referring fairly obviously to boxing commentators / reporters.

Also FWIW slinging unproven PED allegations around adds nothing at all to your post, plenty of fighters have had such things said about them.
    Last edited by Citizen Koba; 11-17-2013, 09:14 PM.

Comment

The original was Mike Tyson he came in scary and was fighting tomato cans on TV and was hyped up hard. He was my favorite fighter growing up because he had this bad ass style that never seen before and his scary look of intimidation. But he got exposed big time, he lacked the heart that many of the ATG's had who fought past their prime any time Tyson was in a dog fight he would basically quit or look for a way out.

Jeff Lacy - this guy was the second coming of Tyson and got slapped up hard and never the same after the Calzaghe fight.
      James Kirkland - another second coming of Tyson until his chin was exposed.
      Andre Berto - more of a hype job than boogeyman but early on until he got dropped by Chino Rivera on ESPN he was getting hyped up hard as a scary guy at 147.
      Tavoris Cloud - exposed bad by Campillo and than schooled by Hopkins and knocked out by Adonis.
      Prince Naseem Hamed - fought a lot of B and C level guys, but when he stepped up in comp and faced the great Barrera whom schooled him he was never the same and retired.

Comment

Matthysse was already a proven fighter. The hype was justified and still is. Not being able to win them all doesn't mean you've been exposed.

Comment

Lucian Bute easily

Comment

I wonder whose alt the ts is?...I mean he's obviously a floyd fluffer and a ******.

Comment

Tyson - exposed 6X
              Duran - exposed 16X
              Marvin Halger - exposed 3X
              Sonny Liston - Exposed 4X
              George Foreman - Exposed 5X

Comment

Originally posted by DoktorSleepless View Post
                Matthysse was already a proven fighter. The hype was justified and still is. Not being able to win them all doesn't mean you've been exposed.
                Did u read the guy's drug testing comments? Do u really think he's gonna acknowledge your comment... I mean, its all true... But he doesn't care

Comment

Originally posted by $0uthpaw View Post
                  Andre Berto. Funny thing is, most "Boogeymen" in boxing dont have true boxing skills, just power.

Edit: Also Kelly Pavlik and Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
                  I agree with Pav and maybe even Berto..

Comment

Margarito was portrayed as a boogeyman for a while before getting exposed in the worst possible way. Tall lanky tuff iron-chin well condition non stop machine with the will to break you down. I was subscribed to the ring mag a few yrs back and there was a good article on his "fearful" portrayal even made the cover I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by dc3383 View Post
                      Lucian Bute easily
                      Another good one..

Comment

Working...
                      X