Jonathan Banks vs. Seth Mitchell II

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Comment

Came across a preview of this fight by David Price. I know Price doesn't seem to popular on here, but always interesting to hear things from a fighters perspective IMO :

"To be honest, I'd not been paying much attention to the boxing scene since my defeat to Tony Thompson. I'd kept my focus solely on the gym and my return match with Tony in early July. So the rematch between Banks and Mitchell sort of crept up on me unnoticed but I'll definitely he tuning in to it.

First time, I think Mitchell got his tactics completely wrong. He'd had a couple of close shaves in fights before Banks exposed him and, when he was finally put on the canvas, his inexperience told, and he seemed clueless as to how to survive. He failed to grab when he was hurt.

Prior to his loss to Banks, I'd watched Mitchell's fights against Chazz Witherspoon, Timur Ibragimov plus a couple of others. Initially, I'd dismissed him as very crass and raw – an accident waiting to happen - but he seemed to be improving and had started to put some good wins together.

Clearly he's very strong and athletic. But he didn't have much of an amateur career; just ten bouts, I believe. He won nine of those by knockout so was used to having things his own way. He'd also had a lot of very early wins as a pro (sixteen stoppages inside four rounds) and didn't have too many rounds behind him.

When the first fight with Banks was made I have to admit that I was surprised. I thought his backers could've taken a bit more time with him. Still, it showed his ambition. In addition to his impressive strength and physique, Seth's definitely an explosive hitter, especially with that big right hand over the top. His record provides the evidence that he can definitely wallop.

Against that, he's pretty raw technically and still needs a lot of polishing. Also, his speed's not the greatest and, for the very top level guys, he wouldn't be the hardest to anticipate. Though he has loads of raw power, it's the shots you don't see that do the most damage.

I think Banks was able to beat him last time because he'd been operating at a far higher level. He was a world class cruiserweight, who'd won the IBO belt and challenged Tomasz Adamek for the IBF title (lrsc8). He's also been around the Klitschkos for years, initially as a sparring partner and more recently as the trainer to Wladimir. Add to that that he'd had the privilege of being trained by Emanuel Steward for many years. That certainly won't have harmed him.

We never sparred but I got to watch Johnathon up close in training camps over in Germany. I also caught his fight with the British journeyman Paul Butlin over in Germany and I've always been impressed.

Banks was a typical Kronk style fighter with a quick jab, and he followed through with his right hand like all the good Kronk kids. He's also got decent footwork and good skills. Though he's not the biggest heavyweight, he carries plenty of pop in his gloves as he showed in the first Mitchell fight. Technically, as you'd expect from someone who worked under Steward, he's pretty correct; always looks the part.

He's a quality all round operator. I think his only real drawback could be his (lack of) size might make him vulnerable against the biggest fellas in the division.

If he's to repeat his win, I think Banks needs to stick to his boxing; use his speed as the main tool. He needs to dart in and out with those fast feet in the early rounds then get on his bike before letting the heavy gear go later on. I don't think he should go looking for an early knockout despite the success he had last time. Mitchell's sure to be more wary of him this time.

You have to give Mitchell big respect for taking an immediate rematch after getting wiped out so comprehensively. If he's to exact revenge, he certainly needs to make sure that he tightens his defence, especially when he's attacking.

I believe Seth's best game plan would be to capitalise on his advantages in weight and brute strength by roughing Banks up and bullying him; back him up to the ropes with the double jab, then set about him, tire him out. But he'll need to be really switched on defensively as he does it.

I'm expecting the rematch to be a more tentative affair than their initial fight, certainly at the start. Mitchell has to change his tactics cos if he charges in gung-ho as he did last time, he'll probably get destroyed again. That said, once one of 'em lands clean it's likely to turn into a war. I think it's going to be good to watch.

I'd like to see Mitchell win because, like me, he's gambled on an immediate rematch after a comprehensive loss. If he succeeds, it'd be a good omen for me. But if I'm truthful, I expect Banks to have too much again. I think his edges in experience and especially speed will see him to victory but this time on points."

Comment

i really like both of these guys. they arent great HW, but they are good dudes. mitchell has talent and size, and banks has the experience.

mitchell seems like a very solid young man. banks has put in years under emanuel steward, and now trains the planet's best HW. there's a lot to like.

may the best man win. i hope nobody gets badly hurt. it should be another great fight.

Comment

This undercard fight is more interesting than the main event tonight. Earlier today, James Ali Bashir gave his analysis and prediction:

Comment

When is this fight on?

I have some movie on Showtime...

Comment

Originally posted by Simurgh View Post
                When is this fight on?

I have some movie on Showtime...
                15 minutes, then Bika-Perabin, Banks-Mitchell, Malignaggi-Broner

Comment

Broner, Broner, Broner.....good luck Sir

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                    i really like both of these guys. they arent great HW, but they are good dudes. mitchell has talent and size, and banks has the experience.

mitchell seems like a very solid young man. banks has put in years under emanuel steward, and now trains the planet's best HW. there's a lot to like.

may the best man win. i hope nobody gets badly hurt. it should be another great fight.
                    Agree with this man! Nicely said.

Comment

Jonathon ends seth career.

Comment

Working...
                      X