No announcement yet.

i hate northern canadian winters!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by joe strong View Post
    i got good winter gear but i'm an ironworker & have to be able to climb steel & move. too much clothes & it is too hard to move. it's the hands & feet that get cold. i'm working 50ft off the ground so i can't drop anything because even a small item could hurt or damage stuff below. if a wrench slips & falls 50ft i could kill someone...always the hazards in winter but i deal with it every year but i'd rather deal with in january & febuary & not november or december. glad i get paid well...when your hands get cold that's when it really sucks & you can't just wear big bulking gloves becausse you can't hold on to any tools well or small bolts, etc...all the good work is here & i deal with it but i don't have to like it!!! CUBA in 10 days!!! can't frigging wait!

Comment

I love the cold weather but that's crazy, it's like a cold hell.

Comment

Originally posted by deliveryman View Post

i have used those before many times but they make your gloves moist & then icy. those are okay if you are on the ground & not having to handle small hand tools but when in the air my tools are steal & become very slick. if i drop something there could be a real problem. it's not that simple & not to mention if you have ever seen one out of the pack they are bulky & like a tea bag. can't hold on to tools as effectively. there are also the stick on ones but they too make gloves slick beecause of the heat & moisture which makes your gloves icy.
        Last edited by joe strong; 12-06-2012, 07:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jose830 View Post
          I love the cold weather but that's crazy, it's like a cold hell.
          we had a cuban insulator on site last week. actually born there & moved to canada with her husband. he got her a job at work & she was so cold she couldn't even tie her own boots. never really been outside for more then an hour in a canadian winter...she lasted 2 days & they laid her off...

Comment

i'm just venting because you never get use to it...lol! if you are a winter sport guy & like skiing, snowboarding, snowmobiling,etc then this is the place for you but i'm a hot weather guy but i'm greedy & like to travel so i deal with it but i think it's okay to bi*ch once & awhile...lol!

Comment

we had a cuban insulator on site last week. actually born there & moved to canada with her husband. he got her a job at work & she was so cold she couldn't even tie her own boots. never really been outside for more then an hour in a canadian winter...she lasted 2 days & they laid her off...
              I was in PR last August and at night people wear jackets in 50° weather lol!
              they would die over there

Comment

i use to smoke all the time & it did help with the cold somewhat & even before work but drugtesting is rampant now so i'm on the wagon...you are right when it was -30c i would get destroyed & work & never had an accident. actually i wourk better high as a kite but those days are past. weed can get you through anything but those days are done as many jobs have random tests now & it will be everywhere in the next few years. if i fail a drug test for even weed i have to go to a detox center & hang with needle banging junkies for 30 days. it's a joke...i can see it know suzie stands up & says " hi i'm suzie, im a heroin addict, i've lived on the streets for 4 years, i turn tricks so i can feed my habit, etc. then i will stand up & say " hello i'm joe & i'm a recreational pot user. i have lived in a stable enviorment for 11 years, never missed a bill payment in my life, make $100000\year, travel all over the world & have had a solid career for 16 years, have been paying into a work pension for 16 years & have substantial amount of money in savings, rsps, guics, etc...so i quit weed so i don't have to end up there or i'd have a joint hanging in my mouth all day....

Yeah that's tough even though weed does get you by in those situations and I would actually work better as well. I zone out and focus on everything I'm doing. I'm sure Jose830 can testify that setting up bipaps and 840's and delivering O2 while high is a breeze. Damn goodluck though Joe because that does sound like a great yet difficult job

Comment

Worst part about working outside in the winter, is needing use of your hands. Mitts and gloves sometimes have to be ignored. Back in the day when I used to wire up electrical signs, during the very cold late January winter, my hands would get to the point of having no feeling and I would drop stuff.

When back out of the cold, and running warm water on your hands to warm them up, the feeling was so intense I thought I was going to barf. awful feeling

Comment

i have used those before many times but they make your gloves moist & then icy. those are okay if you are on the ground & not having to handle small hand tools but when in the air my tools are steal & become very slick. if i drop something there could be a real problem. it's not that simple & not to mention if you have ever seen one out of the pack they are bulky & like a tea bag. can't hold on to tools as effectively. there are also the stick on ones but they too make gloves slick beecause of the heat & moisture which makes your gloves icy.
                    Bring multiple pairs of gloves and change them when they start to get icy?

Comment

Originally posted by deliveryman View Post
                      Bring multiple pairs of gloves and change them when they start to get icy?
                      those hand warmers are no good for me when i'm off the ground. if my gloves get icy & i drop something(a bolt, wrench, etc), i could seriously hurt someone & possibly kill them or do damage to material or equipment nearby. if i was on the ground working then i might consider them though but i'm hardly on the ground...

Comment

Working...
                      X