Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I wish Boxing was more popular with the youth.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wish Boxing was more popular with the youth.

I'm 17 and I live in California's Bay Area, there's no one really around my area my age who have such an interest in boxing like I do. Most kids love UFC. I mean I know a couple kids who box, but no one really into the such vast and interesting history Boxing has given to the world. I've watched countless fights on youtube alone from many of the eras throughout boxing. I stay tuned in to stream the latest PPVs when I can as well..

It's the first and only sport I've really gotten into, and it's amazing. I also got into working out through boxing as well, greatest sport alive.

I wish it was too. They don't even talk about this damn sport on something as diverse as ESPN. Everyone I know is an MMA fan, only have like 2 or 3 friends who watch boxing casually.

Not a single peep unless Pac or Mayweather fight. It's embarrassing.

And who's gonna replace them? There's no Oscar like figure out there right now to give the newer fighters a chance. Floyd will retire undefeated and Pac is fighting a guy who is on his way out too.

Comment

Tell me about it, my friends who are Filipino give me the evil eye when I tell them "If it goes 12 rounds, Pac loses."

Comment

One of the things that's killing boxing, not just making it unpopular with the youth, are all the terrible decisions. A lot of people view the sport as being a step above pro wrestling. Quite frankly, sometimes I feel the same way. Nothing is more infuriating than watching a robbery go down right before your eyes. It's like watching a football game where the team with the higher score at the end gets the loss just because the refs say so. How can you do business like that?

Comment

Originally posted by slickslysmooth View Post
          I'm 17 and I live in California's Bay Area, there's no one really around my area my age who have such an interest in boxing like I do. Most kids love UFC. I mean I know a couple kids who box, but no one really into the such vast and interesting history Boxing has given to the world. I've watched countless fights on youtube alone from many of the eras throughout boxing. I stay tuned in to stream the latest PPVs when I can as well..

It's the first and only sport I've really gotten into, and it's amazing. I also got into working out through boxing as well, greatest sport alive.
          u live in cali and do not know boxing fans? go to oxnard, east la, indio, or riverside everyone follows boxing in those areas.

Comment

They should have a boxing team in schools just like they have football and basketball teams

Comment

Working my figures off memory here:

Boxing's fan base in the US is around 50 million
              UFC's fan base as of 2012 is around 22 million

25% of boxing fans are considered young - 12.5 million
              80% of UFC fans are considered young - 17 million

In terms of youth culture the UFC seems to be ahead but not really by a whole lot. Like many things those rumours are over blown. It's been part of the UFC's marketing strategy to attract the youth and denounce boxing as your father's sport. It's nothing but propaganda really and isn't supported by ANY factual evidence whatsoever.

The UFC has an unusually high percentage of young fans that I don't think is matched by any other sport. However that's only a percentage of relatively small fan base. They have a large slice of a small cake so to speak.
              Last edited by croz; 11-23-2012, 02:57 AM.

Comment

They used to have Boxing in my area decades ago, but I guess kids in school got too rough with it?? I don't know, I love it. And Bay Area boxing isn't that big, sure we have Andre Ward, but still no one really follows boxing that much. I'm not talking casual fans either man, I love the whole history boxing has, there's so much to learn.

EDIT: Oh yeah, a lot of kids I talked to who like MMA don't like boxing for it's "12 round boring fights" I don't think anyone even takes the time to understand the sweet science. It's magnificent to watch folks like James Toney on youtube, I wish I knew about the sport or was born in an earlier decade..

I'm Filipino so I have Pacquiao in my time(Filipino parties for Pacquiao = I've seen all his fights), but there's too much controversy around him and I enjoy defensive boxing a lot more.
                Last edited by SlySlickSmooth; 11-23-2012, 02:53 AM.

Comment

We need more boxing fans to take interest in the younger generation and open gyms or go to youth centers and pass along the knowledge of the sweet science.

Comment

Originally posted by MR. LARRYX View Post
                    We need more boxing fans to take interest in the younger generation and open gyms or go to youth centers and pass along the knowledge of the sweet science.
                    I try hard man, but my friends hold UFC PPVs at my friends house with like 15 of us watching. I got to admit Anderson Silva is probably the only fighter I've seen bob and weave(Him vs Bonnar) so effectively and smooth just like Ali or Toney. Other than him I don't have much interest besides the reckless fighting I see it as. Kids just can't sit through 12 rounds of a magnificent chess game.

Comment

Working...
                    X