No announcement yet.

Sonny Liston vs Larry Holmes

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sonny Liston vs Larry Holmes

Interesting matchup I have them very close on my all time heavyweight list, who win H2H?
    Sonny Liston
    25.93%
    Larry Holmes
    74.07%

Larry Holmes dominates Liston

Comment

if im notmistaken sonny had a longer reach

i think he would pressure larry and use his own jab to nullfy lary's

close hard fight but eventually (a prime) sony liston stops him cause i dont think larry had good enough defense

Comment

Originally posted by ghns1133 View Post
        if im notmistaken sonny had a longer reach

i think he would pressure larry and use his own jab to nullfy lary's

close hard fight but eventually (a prime) sony liston stops him cause i dont think larry had good enough defense
        Holmes height more than makes up for what ever the difference in arm length was(if there was any). Liston wouldn't be able to jab with Holmes

Comment

On topic, Holmes wins a close decision not because he has three irrelevant inches of height on Liston but because Liston had difficulty with lateral movement which Holmes would use to good advantage. In a jabbing contest they're pretty much even as they're both first-class jabbers.

Poet

Comment

Jesus Christ.

Larry absolutely destroys the bum. Liston was a joke.

This fight would be a mismatch.

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
              On topic, Holmes wins a close decision not because he has three irrelevant inches of height on Liston but because Liston had difficulty with lateral movement which Holmes would use to good advantage. In a jabbing contest they're pretty much even as they're both first-class jabbers.

Poet
              Except for Larry's jab being 100x as fast and accurate. He easily has one of the top 3 jabs of all time.

Liston's molasses jab wouldn't even make it halfway to Larry's face before he'd have his head snapped up like a pez dispenser.

Comment

Originally posted by Fooly Cooly View Post
                Except for Larry's jab being 100x as fast and accurate. He easily has one of the top 3 jabs of all time.

Liston's molasses jab wouldn't even make it halfway to Larry's face before he'd have his head snapped up like a pez dispenser.
                Come back when you actually learn something about boxing.....cuz right now you actually know LESS than nothing.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by Fooly Cooly View Post
                  Jesus Christ.

Larry absolutely destroys the bum. Liston was a joke.

This fight would be a mismatch.
                  ^^^^^ Worships Qaddafi = 0 credibility.....about anything.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
                    I agree. But for different reasons. Holmes' jab was more frequent and accurate whereas Liston's did more damage. My concern for Larry is whether he could deal with that telephone pole.

I think it would be a pretty brutal fight with Liston accumulating many of rounds one to six and Holmes, providing he doesn't get tagged early, coming on strong in the second half. The big question is whether Larry can dodge the heavy traffic. Liston could do an awful lot of damage and sap the fight out of him before he has the chance to turn the tables when Sonny starts to slow.

Comment

Working...
                    X