Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should all boxers avoid signing contracts with promoters?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should all boxers avoid signing contracts with promoters?

Are promoters and the business as it is just not healthy for these stars. Should boxers stop working on exclusive deals with promoters and just have managers get them the best deal on a fight by fight basis? Promoters in this instance can effectively work to attain the business of a fighter and once they secure the rights, fight by fight, they promote and work to gain the most that they can from the fight.

At the end, only the boxers are hurt. There needs to be a new model, if no manner of having a unified "league" of sorts will ever be in the cards. If I'm a boxer, I'm wary of signing any long-term deal

YES then they can all go to their banks and get the bank to bankroll their shows where all of them are main-events fighters and make millions hahahaha!!!! Great idea!................................... Ray.

Comment

eric crumble never signed with a promoter and look how well he did

Comment

I think the op was referring more to the mayweather one fight at a time deal, obviously not anymore since he has the Showtime deal.

Comment

Why dont people just pay for their houses and cars str8 cash?

Comment

Originally posted by Em1 View Post
            I think the op was referring more to the mayweather one fight at a time deal, obviously not anymore since he has the Showtime deal.
            Basically, a free agent of sorts, where the promoters are competing to promote your next fight. A fight by fight contract. Being tied down to one company hurts your earning potential and in the current cold war era of boxing promoting, limits your ability to really build a legacy if you are prevented from fighting boxers from other stables because of egos and such

Comment

Promoters usually lose money early in most fighter's career because they invest their own money to eventually to get a payoff later. If contracts with promoters didn't exist, it would be really hard for a fighter to get a start.

Comment

sure and lets see how quick there asses is back at walmart applying.

Comment

Truth is you're aren't going to get a meaningful fight without signing to a promoter. Even the fighters with losing records that are there to make a up and comer look good have clauses in the contract if they were to pull off a miracle.

Comment

The fighters have to step up and put pressure on the promoters to make the best fights. Boxers need an official union like other sports. I know it's not that simple but something needs to be done.

To answer the question, boxers need promoters. They can't finance fights themselves.

Comment

Working...
                    X