No announcement yet.

James Toney vs. Iran Barkley...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James Toney vs. Iran Barkley...

that fight was badass. Toney had wicked handspeed. this is toney at his best.

how good was the 168 JT? lets give him his props.

Didn't Toney thrown a hell of alot of leather in that fight, I remember reading a Compubox count

Comment

it was a hell of a fight. James Toney at 168 could throw mad punches.

Comment

Toney was very good at 168. The thinking around the time was that he was much better at the weight since he wasn't drained and more comfortable there. He wasn't consistent at 160, and I think the talk of Toney being so weight-drained when he fought Roy has been exaggerated.

I'm not totally sure how he fares against Calzaghe at 168. Toney absolutely tears up guys who come forward and leave openings. I suspect Toney would have success early on against Joe. The question is how Joe adjusts and how Toney deals with that. Calzaghe does have pretty good footspeed and movement. Those are factors that can trouble Toney.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryn0 View Post
          Didn't Toney thrown a hell of alot of leather in that fight, I remember reading a Compubox count
          He landed over 400 punches.

http://www.compuboxonline.com/recordbook.php
          Toney also landed over 400 punches against Prince Charles Williams... then somehow ended up running out of gas completely against Roy Jones after throwing 350.

Hes was inconsistent but brilliant at his best.

Comment

JT's best performance

Comment

Toney threw a lot of punches in that. Also against Thornton, Williams, and Wolfe.

He tended to take time off in the round but when he threw, he so often let them go in combinations, and had a very good workrate.

Comment

Originally posted by Thread Stealer View Post
                Toney was very good at 168. The thinking around the time was that he was much better at the weight since he wasn't drained and more comfortable there. He wasn't consistent at 160, and I think the talk of Toney being so weight-drained when he fought Roy has been exaggerated.

I'm not totally sure how he fares against Calzaghe at 168. Toney absolutely tears up guys who come forward and leave openings. I suspect Toney would have success early on against Joe. The question is how Joe adjusts and how Toney deals with that. Calzaghe does have pretty good footspeed and movement. Those are factors that can trouble Toney.
                Not true, he beat Jirov but it was close and Jirov through ALOT of punches but landed quite a few as well. I think he's better against people he can time who tend to fight outside or rely to heavily on power, there are exceptions though

Comment

Hands down my favourite Toney fight. I enjoyed it even more than McCallum I. The skills James put out there in that fight were incredible. IMO that Toney beats a prime Calzaghe at 168.

Comment

Not true, he beat Jirov but it was close and Jirov through ALOT of punches but landed quite a few as well. I think he's better against people he can time who tend to fight outside or rely to heavily on power, there are exceptions though
                    Toney was fat and out of shape against Jirov and subseqently needed to take more breaks than he would have had to if he was fighting at 168.

Comment

Working...
                    X