Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much steam has Mares vs Santa Cruz lost?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much steam has Mares vs Santa Cruz lost?

Imo, this fight shouldve already happened and it shouldve happened at 122.

Let me start with Mares, despite the questionable refereeing vs Agbeko, Mares was looking very impressive up until his ko. He showed grit & power with a mix of athleticism & skill. After Mares beat PDL, he shouldve vacated that belt & dropped back to 122 where a guy thats 26yo & 5'4" has more longevity, basically his management F'd him.

As for LSC, despite his world titles being all but gift wrapped, LSC brought what most boxing fans wanted, lots of punches. LSC never showed world class punching power or Floyd Mayweather skill but @118 & 122 his style wore guys down which is always fun to see but at 126 hes just a windmill.

Even though i feel this fight is long over due & between 2 fighters above their best weight classes, i will still be there live. But i really do think this fight has lost its steam or potential to have been a ppv level fight at 122. What are your thoughts?

I don't know, I just think it's a hell of a match up and will probably be a FOTY candidate.

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
      I don't know, I just think it's a hell of a match up and will probably be a FOTY candidate.
      At 122 i would bet my rent that it wouldve been foty but at 126 i wouldnt bet against it being foty but definitely not for it being. LSC looks slow at 126 & Mares looks timid.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
        At 122 i would bet my rent that it wouldve been foty but at 126 i wouldnt bet against it being foty but definitely not for it being. LSC looks slow at 126 & Mares looks timid.

He was wih Hunter against Oquendo and ditched him soon after. He returned to his former trainer and looked aggressive against Ramirez. Supposedly he had the flu in his fight against Reyes and looked rather flat. it's interesting to see how many people write him off and label him shot since his lone defeat against one of the heaviest punchers south of 130.

Comment

Originally posted by Aztekkas View Post
          He was wih Hunter against Oquendo and ditched him soon after. He returned to his former trainer and looked aggressive against Ramirez. Supposedly he had the flu in his fight against Reyes and looked rather flat. it's interesting to see how many people write him off and label him shot since his lone defeat against one of the heaviest punchers south of 130.
          I agree it's always the same lose once and you forever suck. Johnny has one punch power and he caught him. He's that strong. Doesn't mean mares sucks or anything it happens

Comment

It's certainly not what it could have been. Mares has not looked good since Gonzalez knocked him out, and Santa Cruz has become a bit of a joke. It should still be a good fight, but it doesn't mean much at the moment besides being a good style clash.

Comment

Originally posted by aldo5408 View Post
              I agree it's always the same lose once and you forever suck. Johnny has one punch power and he caught him. He's that strong. Doesn't mean mares sucks or anything it happens
              By no means am i saying mares is shot but hes definitely not the guy that stem rolled pdl.

Comment

Mares jumped up to 126 when Santa Cruz was still fighting at 118.

I think it's going to be a great fight. Mares might be a little past it but he's naturally the bigger guy.

Santa Cruz should go back down to 122 whether he wins this fight or not, he's not a featherweight IMO.
                Last edited by BOXEO _; 08-21-2015, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X