Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bob Arum claimed Oscar took a dive against Hopkins

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this is one of those things ppl say that i just dont understand at all. why would oscar take a dive at that point in his career? for money? when he fought hopkins he already had more money than he could spend in 10 lifetimes. what other reasons could there be?

ppl say it didnt look like a devastating punch but thats just ignorance, anyone who knows boxing understands how good a punch that was. DLH clearly never saw it, it landed right on the liver and lets keep in mind this is a big MW who fought a large portion of his career at 175 fighting a guy who started his career at 130lbs.

he was a giant at that weight but in his prime DLH was a natural WW, he never really belonged at MW which is why nobody gives hopkins much credit for the win. oscar looked terrible in all his MW fights. in fact thats the best he looked at 160, he was fighting really well until he got caught. why would he train and fight his ass off just to lie down?

oscar taking a dive makes no sense at all, zero. dude just got caught.
    Last edited by #1Assassin; 08-23-2013, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by VatoMulatto View Post
      Arum accused Oscar of taking a dive against Hopkins. Erik Morales also said Oscar took a dive. I do remember back then when the fight was over many people thought that the whole fight was a big farce and that Oscar took a dive. Even today when I talk about that fight with people lots of fans still have doubts over that fight.

I mean a precise body shot to the liver and you'll go down no matter how tough you are....but was Oscar in pain or did he take a dive?
      I was at this fight in thr $350 seats (no they were not close). I was leaving the arena after this fight and ran into Emmanuel STeward (rip). I asked him was it legit punch and he said yes. Not that I am someone he had to tell the truth , but he was convinced it was legit.

Comment

I believe Oscar took a dive, and Hopkins was in on it the whole time. If you remember everyone was surprised that Oscar was fighting Hopkins on the inside and not running, announcers kept praising his cajones. I think that Oscar knew from the start he could not beat Hopkins, and was fixing to get crushed. So the deal was made to allow ODH to look brave and semicompetitive before going down from a bodyshot, it was a no lose situation.

Comment

Oscar wasn't going to win anyway so does it really matter?

Comment

Originally posted by El Angel View Post
            I don't think he did, but he was he had enough energy to slam his glove into the canvas.
            Barker had enough energy to get back on his feet against Daniel Geale. Why wouldn't Oscar have enough energy to pound the canvas?

Comment

I don't think he did, but he was he had enough energy to slam his glove into the canvas.

Comment

I've always believed that fight was fixed. The punch that took Oscar out was nothing more than a tap.

Comment

Oscar moved around a lot after getting hit by the shot. When Hatton went down v Senchenko he couldn't move, Macklin couldn't move after GGG, when Barker went down he was immobilised but here you have Oscar rolling around and beating the ground giving some sort of performance.

Originally posted by -GBGQ- View Post
                  One thing I always wondered was why Hopkins corner or someone in his camp were yelling "BODY SHOT!" very loudly over and over during that round. Now that was fishy too me.
                  Same. "bodyshot, bodyshot, bodyshot"...then a bodyshot supposedly ends the fight. Convenient.

Comment

You cant always tell with a body shot. Sometimes its just a jolt of pain...other times youre practically paralyzed. I rember one time being hit by my uncle (in the gym obviously) from such a weir angle that I couldnt get up. I could move my arms but if i tried to get up it felt like I was housing a compresse explosion and when my core/legs would get further apart (trying to stand) its as if it would expand. It was awful. I've been hit much harder, but he just hit me with power at the right spot.

As a youngster I took some brutal body shots (well...in Culiacan everyone thinks theyre julio cesar chavez after all...) and some are just a matter of sharp pain that you can walk off...like a charlie horse type of thing.

I wouldnt doubt Oscar really couldnt get up. Hopkins isnt the kind of name you throw a fight to lol. Barker got up, Maidana got up...but none would get up to the type of shot GGG hit Macklin with. Power aside that was just one of the mos perfect shots you could land ANYWHERE

Comment

Working...
                    X