Martinez: "I can concentrate on Golovkin after I knock out Cotto"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by .:: JSFD26 ::. View Post
    None of that is happening.

He's not KO'ing Cotto and I doubt he beats him. And he also won't be fighting GGG.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android
    Martinez has been one of my favorite fighters through the years but sadly i agree with this. I think his age and injuries won't let him be the boxer he once was. Cotto by UD. And then cotto gets destroyed and retired by golovkin.

Comment

• This will be a very good fight. I might be looking forward to this fight more than any other.

The problem is a fight against Cotto is unlikely to tell us how much further Martinez has faded. Even a fat 43-year-old Martinez will look good against Cotto. We may leave the fight with the false impression that Martinez has a lot left to challenge Golovkin with when it isn't the case.

What an opponent for a 40-year-old to be bowing out to - brutal really.

Comment

• Originally posted by Renal Colic View Post
        This will be a very good fight. I might be looking forward to this fight more than any other.

The problem is a fight against Cotto is unlikely to tell us how much further Martinez has faded. Even a fat 43-year-old Martinez will look good against Cotto. We may leave the fight with the false impression that Martinez has a lot left to challenge Golovkin with when it isn't the case.

What an opponent for a 40-year-old to be bowing out to - brutal really.
        The fight with Cotto should tell us how Martinez's mobility and conditioning are, unless he just stands in the pocket and knocks Cotto out in one or two rounds.

Comment

• Originally posted by ColdBlooded View Post
          The fight with Cotto should tell us how Martinez's mobility and conditioning are, unless he just stands in the pocket and knocks Cotto out in one or two rounds.
          Yeah, but I don't think Martinez will need to move as urgently or as much as normal. Cotto is short, short-armed, not particularly fast, and fighting in too heavy a weight division.

I think this is a mismatch really.

Comment

• IMO, Martinez beats the poop out of Cotto (assuming he's rehabilitated). If the knee is an issue then Martinez will have difficulty, his asset is the constant movement.

Comment

• Originally posted by Renal Colic View Post
              Yeah, but I don't think Martinez will need to move as urgently or as much as normal. Cotto is short, short-armed, not particularly fast, and fighting in too heavy a weight division.

I think this is a mismatch really.
              It's a good tuneup for Martinez to see how his knee his, shake off the ring rust, and make a nice payday.

Comment

• I like Cotto but I just can't envision him winning. Sergio is just too good and too big. Props to Cotto if he wins or even if it's close (heck, if he doesn't get KO'd I'll be impressed)

Comment

• Originally posted by AVDB View Post
                  I like Cotto but I just can't envision him winning. Sergio is just too good and too big. Props to Cotto if he wins or even if it's close (heck, if he doesn't get KO'd I'll be impressed)
                  If Cotto hangs with a relatively healthy Martinez, that would be a tremendous accomplishment all its own. I think Sergio's coming back healthy and with a vengeance for this fight. He really seems to want to hurt Cotto.

Comment

• Cotto is ending your career June 8th.

Comment

Working...
                    X