Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's the Best Lightweight of All Time?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's the Best Lightweight of All Time?

Roberto Duran or Benny Leonard?

Originally posted by haiderpak View Post
    Roberto Duran or Benny Leonard?
    One of those 2 or Joe Gans.

Comment

Lightweight is one of the hardest divisions to do this with since it has such a long and great history with lots of great champions but I would say Duran.

I'm trying to find the ESPN Friday Night Fights Video where Pernell Whittaker is a guest and he gives his opinion a few guys including Duran and PBF.

Comment

my personal choice is duran...

and i would not mind if u say its benny leonard or even joe gans for that matter...

Comment

Duran for me,but its very close

Comment

Coxscorner writes this interesting excerpt on Gans' fight with Sam Langford:

Consider Gans fight with the great Sam Langford on Dec. 8, 1903. Langford was the most avoided fighter in boxing history. Sam was the larger of the two, a natural welterweight at the time. This fight was fought in Boston the day after Gans had fought a no decision bout with black welterweight Dave Holly in Philadelphia (Gans won the newspaper decision). This means that Gans had to travel by train up the eastern seaboard from Philly to Boston for a fight the very next day. Gans admitted that fighting two days in a row and making the trip had sapped his stamina. Nevertheless, Gans dominated early in the fight before fading from lag in the later rounds and losing a close decision. Fleischer penned, (1938, 164-165; 1939, 130), “Gans opened up the first round with a triple left hook. As Sam drew back after the third blow, Gans quick as a flash, sprang forward and landed a terrific right to the jaw, and from that point until the fifth round, Langford seemed scared stiff and did his utmost to avoid infighting.”

Full article on Gans:

http://coxscorner.tripod.com/gans.html

Comment

Hey Nelson I don't really know much about Langford but I find it hard to believe that anyone was more avoided than Archie Moore.

Comment

Manos de piedra!

Comment

Duran and Gans are a million times better than joke Benny

Comment

The best were afraid to fight Gans. FACT

Comment

Working...
                    X