Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the HBO Booth better without Roy Jones?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Augustane View Post
    I personally think he's extremely inconsistent also. Sometimes he gives amazing commentary which makes Lampley and Kellerman look like amateurs at their jobs, but other times, he says strange stuff which reminds me of some of Merchant's odd quibs.
    I agree, I think with Roy he tends to side with one fighter too much. It's almost as if he no matter what has to stick with the fighter he picked, he has to be right. It tends to make him look more like a fan and not a professional commentator on HBO.

Comment

Roy is the only one who knows what he's talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by robust_ View Post
        I think so. The last fight was commentated perfectly without him there. I would like to see HBO mix it up with other boxers in the booth. Ward does okay sometimes, but I'd like to see them widen their horizon.
        I do find asking myself wtf is Roy talking about sometimes and then I remember it could still be Larry Merchant there talking about the ethers and infinity of the some bull**** that doesn't make sense even worse and i reconcile again with Roy. Lets face it you just dont like Roy because he always disagreeing with Max even for no apparent reason sometimes

Comment

Originally posted by DannYankee09 View Post
          I do find asking myself wtf is Roy talking about sometimes and then I remember it could still be Larry Merchant there talking about the ethers and infinity of the some bull**** that doesn't make sense even worse and i reconcile again with Roy. Lets face it you just dont like Roy because he always disagreeing with Max even for no apparent reason sometimes
          You're cute when you make conclusions.

I enjoy when the commentators have banter; I don't want to hear them all agreeing with each other all night. It's more that I just don't think Roy is very good. I like Roy's charisma and passion for boxing, he just can't hang with the HBO or SHO guys. His skill set would be better suited on FNF or NBC (i.e. a more informal broadcast). HBO is an elegant and classy production. Roy just doesn't fit in and the last fight without him proved it to me.

Comment

I missed Roy's "He's hurt Jim!" in this fight.

Comment

Originally posted by matrixskillz View Post
              I missed Roy's "He's hurt Jim!" in this fight.
              "Not good, Jim. He's not good. Not good. Not good. Not good. He's not good. Not good. Not good. Not good. Not good."

Comment

Originally posted by robust_ View Post
                You're cute when you make conclusions.

I enjoy when the commentators have banter; I don't want to hear them all agreeing with each other all night. It's more that I just don't think Roy is very good. I like Roy's charisma and passion for boxing, he just can't hang with the HBO or SHO guys. His skill set would be better suited on FNF or NBC (i.e. a more informal broadcast). HBO is an elegant and classy production. Roy just doesn't fit in and the last fight without him proved it to me.

Not classy like Max right ?

You're cute when you prove my point, but who cares as long as he is understandable and his voice is just mildly annoying i still remember Lennox Lewis tripping over his tongue and sounding like the dopiest muppet that ever lived. What the last fight also didn't also have was someone picking on any detail to start fussing with Max for no reason.

They don't even have interesting banter they argue about the smallest thing like an old couple sometimes it's hilarious. He may need half a second to think about the next part of his sentence because he gets ahead of himself when he gets excited but he has great boxing knowledge and he conveys in a manner that may not be to your precious Kellerman standards but HBO would not be better without him.

Comment

Originally posted by DannYankee09 View Post
                  Not classy like Max right ?

You're cute when you prove my point, but who cares as long as he is understandable and his voice is just mildly annoying i still remember Lennox Lewis tripping over his tongue and sounding like the dopiest muppet that ever lived. What the last fight also didn't also have was someone picking on any detail to start fussing with Max for no reason.

They don't even have interesting banter they argue about the smallest thing like an old couple sometimes it's hilarious. He may need half a second to think about the next part of his sentence because he gets ahead of himself when he gets excited but he has great boxing knowledge and he conveys in a manner that may not be to your precious Kellerman standards but HBO would not be better without him.
                  Lampley is the classiest. Followed by Merchant. Then Lederman. Then Max.

He doesn't convey his messages up to any premium cable standards. He's the Reggie Miller of boxing broadcasters. Just because you pair him up with Marv Albert or Kevin Harlan doesn't mean that Reggie is any good; he's just in good company. The same goes for Roy, just because Lampley, Merchant & Kellerman made/make him look good, doesn't mean he's actually any good. He's just fortunate to be amongst ATGs and GOATs.

HBO would be better if they found someone like Paulie. Articulate, sharp, professional and charismatic. Paulie is more seasoned than Roy and he's only been doing it over a year.
                  Last edited by Tay Roc; 01-19-2014, 04:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Foreign Soil View Post
                    "Not good, Jim. He's not good. Not good. Not good. Not good. He's not good. Not good. Not good. Not good. Not good."

Comment

I think ma home boy RJJ used to be better in years gone by but he's developed a stutter and seems to favour most African American fighters, no matter what is happening in the fight itself, just look at Bradley v Prov lol

I don't like Ward, boring as hell, bring back Big George!

Comment

Working...
                      X